www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Which oil should be used

2 posters

Go down

Which oil should be used Empty Which oil should be used

Post by listermonkey Thu Jun 27 2013, 10:55

I am 'servicing' a gen set with an AD1(?) lister petter engine.
Please can you tell me what grade of oil I should use.
Thanks for your help!

listermonkey
I really need to post more
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Which oil should be used Empty Re: Which oil should be used

Post by nutgone Fri Jun 28 2013, 13:54

Is that a diesel? If so there used to be a special oil they specified for Lister diesels called Shell Rotella, but I'm not sure you can get it any more.

Obviously it's a bit more important to get the correct oil in diesel engines as they often use different bearing material (red-indium rather than just white metal on the big ends) & they suffer higher stresses than petrol models.

Someone will be along soon though with a modern equivalent that will suit. If it were mine I would look for a single grade diesel engine oil, & if that wasn't available I would go for a basic multigrade oil, but make sure it was one manufactured specifically for diesel engines.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28 2013, 14:15

I think it's the same as we do for petrol engines just look for the cheapest dieal oil we can find. Laughing Laughing Laughing 
In the past diesel oil used to also be a detergent oil that helped clean the engine clean by helping to remove carbon deposits so if you want to stick to what it had when new you'll need to search an oil out as Nuts says find a single grade diesel engine oil.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum