www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Amanco Hired man starting issues

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amanco Hired man starting issues

Post by janner on Sat Jul 20 2013, 07:50

Hi all, I bought an Amanco Hired man 2 1/4hp last night , its a very nice engine, but missing the starting handle but they should go off the flywheels easy enough !! I hav swung and swung but its hard to start, any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, the mag has been re magnetised recently and the igniter cleaned also, newbie to these so need some pointers , cheers janner

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Amanco Hired man starting issues

Post by Villiers on Sat Jul 20 2013, 07:58

There isn't right a lot to get wrong really Janner, is the timing right? You need the mag timed to the igniter tripping and that needs to be right, also fuel, there should be a check valve on the fuel pipe, is it stuck?

If all that is ok then open the needle a turn, and it should go.

Have a look here...

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=oldiron;id=32;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eoldengine%2Eorg%2Fmembers%2Fsmigle%2Fassociatedpageindex%2Ehtm

Also get a hand book, SEM have them for sale, that will give you loads of help.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.rcoleplumbingservices.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Sat Jul 20 2013, 08:36

Cheers my beauty, will get her out the van in a minute and have a play with her and see whats what , cheers Rob

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Sat Jul 20 2013, 08:51

No worries fella, I did find somewhere online how to set the timing on these, think it's to do with crankshaft position and those pins and the trip but can't rightly remember now, too early on a Saturday for that!

Think it might be covered in the SEM in the Amanco restoration thread.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Sat Jul 20 2013, 09:01

http://www.internalfire.com/ifod/mantree.php

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Sat Jul 20 2013, 14:18

Right , been out swinging away again today still with ni joy, i have noticed the p.o has put a horizontal brass check valve in the fuel line and a fairly big one at that, how is the suction supposed to lift that ??? i also have cleaned the igniter to no avail, where can i get the right check valve from ?

Janner

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Sat Jul 20 2013, 17:22

The check valve is 1/4 BSP, hard to find but are out there somewhere, it should be ok with the fuel anyway as the valve is to stop the piston blowing the fuel back into the tank.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Sat Jul 20 2013, 18:38

Here is the valve used atm, i,m concerned as to how such a large ball can be lifted to operate the engine !! and being horizontal too !!! hmmmmmm

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Sat Jul 20 2013, 18:52

That's the right one Janner, should be one on the other side fuel pipe as well, make sure it seats right, if it doesn't then when the piston goes "Up" the cylinder it will blow the petrol back. To seat the ball you need a punch and a hammer, belt it one good sharp blow and then check the ball is ok, should replace it really. Also before you start to swing it the bottom of the air intake should have petrol in it, bit like flooding a D type with the tickler, to do this just open the needle a turn and it should run in.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Sat Jul 20 2013, 19:19

You do not hammer the ball into the seat , you clean the seat and the ball with wire wool.
Jonesey Mad Mad Mad 

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Sat Jul 20 2013, 19:47

[quote="JONESEY"]You do not hammer the ball into the seat , you clean the seat and the ball with wire wool.
Jonesey Mad Mad Mad [/quote]

Not if you read the instruction book you don't. To re-seat the ball you give it a "Sharp blow" with a hammer and punch, then replace the ball.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Sat Jul 20 2013, 20:36

On the other side of things, how do you go about checking the mag ? as there is no plug etc to check for spark ? you can tell I'm new to open cranks !!!

Janner

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sat Jul 20 2013, 21:07

timing
turn the engine over clockwise from carb screws ignitor and cam gear side until the crank is on compression stroke until its center casting seam line in side of web is in line with the top of the engine base casting top
"when looking level with engine through the flywheel either side will do"
now the timing gear and crank gear should line up with the double raised lumps and single one in the middle of the two
know the timing bar should be in a possition of ignitor opened , and the left hand magneto button should pop in with a small waggle of the flywheel 1/4" either way ,if this is not so,
then you remove mag from the top of its casting post ,
turn slowly until the LEFT / L button pops in and stops mag rotation
now drop and bolt mag back on
that should now be a runner or atleast pop and fart at you
then its just valve and trip adjustments needed to tweak its running state...

the mags are usually low output ,so use a volt meter digital or not and you should get from 2v to 6v on average
but you can use the wire from mag to ignitor and use a small spark plug with a small spark gap in it ,to see if it shows any life

some magnetos wont start an opencrank ,but will keep it going once youve used a fluresent light ballast coil to get it warmed up with
and the just take a lead of the ballast wires and the mag takes over or not Wink 

there is a brush in the h/t lead end of the magneto and it goes to the rotating shaft inside this somtimes foals up and stops the spark getting out

anythink else just ask and theres loads of use that have or had amancos
there simple and easy once you get the opencrank way in your blood ,the first is scary but then when yours is finished ,you can figure out the rest of the opencrank world with ease " we i did once the great mr JONES had finished with his coaching :thumbup: :thumbup: 
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sat Jul 20 2013, 21:13

is it getting petrol and flooding out the bottom of carb
if so if you turn the engine in reverse slowly it should back fire and burn out the fuel if flooded "works for me and many others i know"
if its beeen running before with that ceeck valve it should so still ,just a light clean out of ball and seat with lemon juice works fine for me
no hammers needed as a rule
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sat Jul 20 2013, 21:17

is it getting petrol and flooding out the bottom of carb
the needle you open from 1  to 2 1/2 full turns out for starting mate ,then you figure it out finer when you get used to starting her .
if so if you turn the engine in reverse slowly it should back fire and burn out the fuel if flooded "works for me and many others i know"
if its beeen running before with that ceeck valve it should so still  ,just a light clean out  of ball and seat with lemon juice works fine for me
no hammers needed as a rule it will flat spot the ball and seat for one thing.
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae on Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:33

Hi janner, put some pics of the whole amanco up please as quite keen to see it

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Sun Jul 21 2013, 17:43

Lewis, will put some up later, Ref starting issues, been to a local rally today and had a chat with a fellow amaco chore boy owner and he reckons , it needs to be 2 1/2 turns out on the needle !! and a hand over the air inlet , once flooded it should fire and then back the fuelling off to suit, so will try that as I have been trying to start on the number 5 position which is only 1/2 a turn from shut off

Janner

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Sun Jul 21 2013, 19:33

janner wrote:Lewis, will put some up later, Ref starting issues, been to a local rally today and had a chat with a fellow amaco chore boy owner and he reckons , it needs to be 2 1/2 turns out on the needle !! and a hand over the air inlet , once flooded it should fire and then back the fuelling off to suit, so will try that as I have been trying to start on the number 5 position which is only 1/2 a turn from shut off

Janner

I have to agree there , not getting enough fuel .

Have you tried wipping the ignitor off to see if any fuel getting there ?

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sun Jul 21 2013, 21:40

matt86 wrote:
janner wrote:Lewis, will put some up later, Ref starting issues, been to a local rally today and had a chat with a fellow amaco chore boy owner and he reckons , it needs to be 2 1/2 turns out on the needle !! and a hand over the air inlet , once flooded it should fire and then back the fuelling off to suit, so will try that as I have been trying to start on the number 5 position which is only 1/2 a turn from shut off

Janner

I have to agree there , not getting enough fuel .

Have you tried wipping the ignitor off to see if any fuel getting there ?

matt

its a bugger of a messing job,to get the ignitors out on the amanco 2 1/2hps ,some times you have to take all the mag and other slide bar brackets springs ect off ,
then you have to recheck the striker trip timming ect ect
on the rebuild Rolling Eyes 
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves on Sun Jul 21 2013, 21:42

Is your mag a two bolt type or the early four bolt ?

If it is the two bolt, it can be difficult to get them to start the engine with a flick of the flywheels.

billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sun Jul 21 2013, 21:57

billypurves wrote:Is your mag a two bolt type or the early four bolt ?

If it is the two bolt, it can be difficult to get them to start the engine with a flick of the flywheels.
bill
did message him yesterday about starting it on a fluresent coiil system and then seeing if the mag will keep it going
hows you me older mucker
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Tue Jul 23 2013, 07:44

[quote="JONESEY"]You do not hammer the ball into the seat , you clean the seat and the ball with wire wool.
Jonesey Mad Mad Mad [/quote]

I stand corrected, the ball you hammer into the seat was on a Petter M, not an Amanco, although by doing this and replacing the ball it would have the same effect.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Sun Jul 28 2013, 21:51

Update !! Hi all, just got back from my local mag man, luckily only lives 3 miles away , anyway, I took the mag off and checked for magnetism and it seemed pretty weak to say the least , so off I have just been to hid house and dropped it off where he duly tested the coil windings and they are fine, he then tested the magnetism with a bulb and nothing and the pull on the horse shoe is as weak as piss !! so he,ll run it through his magnetiser this week and I'll hopefully have something with a lot more kick than it had, any wonder it would not start was his reply !! Fingers crossed we might have her running soon , I took the liberty of marking the timing cogs to make re fitting easier , the igniter is looking ok and clean but gave him that as well to check over

JANNER

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae on Mon Jul 29 2013, 09:47

What type of picker does it have Janner because in either 1914 or 1917 they changed from just a straight picker to a gooseneck one? (I think)

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by janner on Mon Jul 29 2013, 17:29

Lewis MacRae wrote:What type of picker does it have Janner because in either 1914 or 1917 they changed from just a straight picker to a gooseneck one? (I think)

Gooseneck Lewis..

janner
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 15:57

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top