www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Knowledge request - Petter M type 4HP Mixture screw

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Knowledge request - Petter M type 4HP Mixture screw

Post by StewartH on Thu Aug 08 2013, 10:50

Hello Ladies and Gents,

This is an appeal to those of you with specific Petter M type expertise and knowledge.

I'm looking at an opportunity to buy an M type for restoration (it’s the exhaust sound and smoke rings I like!) however the owner says, amongst many other issues, that the mixture screw is missing - my question is...

Is this mixture screw transferable from all HP ranges on M types - so for example could I find a 5HP M type carb with mixture screw and disassemble it to use it on the 4 HP?

Any guidance will be much appreciated - and paid off in pints of ale at some show!

Best

Hamish

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Re: Knowledge request - Petter M type 4HP Mixture screw

Post by Villiers on Thu Aug 08 2013, 11:32

As far as I know the mixture screw is the same on all M types, your best be with questions like this would be to speak to Roland Craven on the IF forum, his web page is closed down at the moment, I think someone has been cut n paste stuff off there and he has gotten the hump a bit.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.rcoleplumbingservices.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Thu Aug 08 2013, 12:43

Thanks a million Villers - much appreciated. I was wondering why the Petternut website was down - I'll track Roland down as he's gonna ba a close friend very soon if i get this M type!. Best Hamish

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Thu Aug 08 2013, 13:01

Apart from the screw what else is missing? 4hp engines are not common, 3 and 5 are, if I remember right (Don't quote me though) I think the 4 is a down rated 5 anyway.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Thu Aug 08 2013, 14:36

Thats interesting to say its a downrated 5HP - which gets me thinking if items like crank and pistons are the same....aparently there is the atomiser missing but these can be found on ebay - the skew cut gears for the magneto are missing/ broken - but I might have a friend with a broken BTH that might fit.....

the bigger issue will be the 1/4" Phosphor-bronze ball under the vaporiser - it might need an endmill to recut the seat top and bottom - but as my shed is about 1m square and currently has lots of my kids toys in it I will be outsourcing this to my local engineering firm - whoever that may be.. probably in China by now....

I'll have to make a desicion pretty soon but it seems like a resaonable enough project! - just a load of rusty parts right now! best, Hamish

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Thu Aug 08 2013, 15:20

I have a mag gear for a 3/5 M,

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Thu Aug 08 2013, 16:39

You may just be a saviour..... I have also just signed up for the IF forum - and see they have a huge Petter archive - great info - must be most of Rolands knowledge right there! - and definately a place i will spend some time reading before making my first steps into restoration of an M type! Ta for the pointer - ale awaits at the next show!

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan on Thu Aug 08 2013, 21:00

I am fairly sure 4 HP engines are actually uprated 3 HP engines (apologies if that adds confusion!).

Years ago I had a scrap 4 HP engine that was a real rot box, I needed a flywheel and the exhaust pot for a 3 HP engine I was restoring, and these parts were a direct swap.  The rest of the engine was either missing or badly corroded and eventually scrapped.

The only 4 HP reference I have found on the web is an engine sold at Cheffins, it is definitely a 3 HP size but probably uprated speed to 4 HP.  (assuming of course they have read the plate correctly!)  http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-526767-vintage-0

Carbs come up for sale fairly often so a mixture screw should be easy enough to find.

Cheer Dave

fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Thu Aug 08 2013, 21:27

Now you mention it Dave you could be right! There is a carb on ebay at the moment for a 5 so that might be good for a mixture screw.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Fri Aug 09 2013, 09:20

Hi Villiers - Just sent you a PM asking a daft question on the ebay carb.

Dave - many thanks for this info - it all helps me build the picture of what to expect and how to support the project in terms of hunting down those elusive parts!

Hamish

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan on Fri Aug 09 2013, 16:08

Parts for 3 HP and 5 HP M's are fairly easy to come by so I wouldn't be too worried if a few small parts are missing, the sought after parts are the mags, gears and exhaust pots. These do turn up but attract a premium.... As with any M type I try to recommend buying the best engine you can afford.
Cheers Dave

fowlerfan

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Sat Aug 10 2013, 21:08

Cheers Dave - and it's for that very reason I declined both my friends m type and decided not to bid on the eBay 4hp restoration project as well - good projects for those with a better equipped workshop but too much for a newbie!

The search continues................

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 05:43

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top