www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

hornby model railway

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hornby model railway

Post by seniorengineers on Mon Aug 12 2013, 18:43

Hi, Guys,
As my agility has taken a tumble, engines are now out of the question, so I have had a clear out in the spare bedroom, and am in the process of building a model railway layout. I'm sure there are some of you that are into this hobby, like me. Having spent close on £500 purchasing gear off of ebay, I was amaised at the amount of folk bidding for stuff, and the price some are prepared to pay. I am only bidding on the older stuff, I am not interested in digital. even though it is easier to operate, My lay out will be based on the sixties/seventies era when model railways was Hornby. I only bid to a certain amount, if I win so be it, but if I get over bid, I don't worry, as there are litery thousands of items for sale. I see on other listings that some of you guys are having a problem with ebay. so far All has been ok for me. Your comments will be appreciated. cheers David.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Re: hornby model railway

Post by matt86 on Mon Aug 12 2013, 19:23

seniorengineers wrote:Hi, Guys,
As my agility has taken a tumble, engines are now out of the question, so I have had a clear out in the spare bedroom, and am in the process of building a model railway layout. I'm sure there are some of you that are into this hobby, like me. Having spent close on £500 purchasing gear off of ebay, I was amaised at the amount of folk bidding for stuff, and the price some are prepared to pay. I am only bidding on the older stuff, I am not interested in digital. even though it is easier to operate, My lay out will be based on the sixties/seventies era when model railways was Hornby. I only bid to a certain amount, if I win so be it, but if I get over bid, I don't worry, as there are litery thousands of items for sale. I see on other listings that some of you guys are having a problem with ebay. so far All has been ok for me. Your comments will be appreciated. cheers David.
Glad your keeping yourself busy David , used to be into 00 guage myself built a track in the loft of parents house built lots of my own scenery down to stuck the gravel on under the tracks and made hills from paper mache with green dust for grass in different shades . Kept me busy for hours , i think i prefered the building rather than the playing with it .

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joegrgraham on Mon Aug 12 2013, 20:05

Hi David,
Totally agree with you on the comedy prices people pay on ebay, they often pay more than you can you can buy in a shop for!.
I used to have a Hornby Dublo three-rail layout, N gauge, and a small collection of Lima South African railways models. Still got it all but sadly packed away as have no room.
Take a look at the Hornby Railroad range, they are older toolings without the bells and whistles of the premium models.
If you don't already, buy Railway Modeller magazine, it always lists all the local exhibitions and swapmeets. Get yourself along to some swapmeets and you'll find the type of models you're after, and probably a lot cheaper than ebay.
Hope it works out for you, wish I could get mine out again, but no room and a toddler!.
Joe

1926 Lister B (in bits).

joegrgraham
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers on Mon Aug 12 2013, 20:54

joegrgraham wrote:Hi David,
Totally agree with you on the comedy prices people pay on ebay, they often pay more than you can you can buy in a shop for!.
I used to have a Hornby Dublo three-rail layout, N gauge, and a small collection of Lima South African railways models. Still got it all but sadly packed away as have no room.
Take a look at the Hornby Railroad range, they are older toolings without the bells and whistles of the premium models.
If you don't already, buy Railway Modeller magazine, it always lists all the local exhibitions and swapmeets. Get yourself along to some swapmeets and you'll find the type of models you're after, and probably a lot cheaper than ebay.
Hope it works out for you, wish I could get mine out again, but no room and a toddler!.
Joe
Thanks for the info, joe, I will look into it all cheers  David

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers on Mon Aug 12 2013, 21:01

matt86 wrote:
seniorengineers wrote:Hi, Guys,
Glad your keeping yourself busy David , used to be into 00 guage myself built a track in the loft of parents house built lots of my own scenery down to stuck the gravel on under the tracks and made hills from paper mache with green dust for grass in different shades . Kept me busy for hours , i think i  prefered the building rather than the playing with it .

matt
Yes matt, going on good with build. Will take some pics when it takes shape, all nice and light, (no heavy mauling), all nice and clean, (no oily rag capers), or only on a light scale, (3 in 1). I will be at stithians on sunday if you are attending. Taking a pump down for janner. cheers  David.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Mon Aug 12 2013, 21:13

David no im not there , next rally i am exhibiting is great dorset steam fair .

matt

Ps next year i will be doing some more traveling once the van is done , so if im devon area might have to give you a shout .

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers on Sat Aug 17 2013, 08:13

matt86 wrote:David no im not there , next rally i am exhibiting is great dorset steam fair .

matt

Ps next year i will be doing some more traveling once the van is done , so if im devon area might have to give you a shout .

matt
Hi Matt,
yes, there are several good shows you can attend in devon, or even north somerset at the railway centre, see you soon,cheers david.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content Today at 08:50

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top