www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

fairbanks headless winter project

+5
kevjhnsn
Lewis MacRae
matt86
JONESEY
Abes
9 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 Empty Re: fairbanks headless winter project

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 13 2013, 18:55

Abes wrote:No probs mate engine is looking good too told you you would end up doing it lol
once i get the block painted and the flywheels wont be much left to do but the smaller bits i can do when its cold as can hang up in the shed to dry as long it takes .

The flywheels are going to be a pain plus there spoked which makes worse .... have a feeling that i will spray them . Would be easier to paint strip them im thinking .... any recommendations as nitromors is crap these days

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 Empty Re: fairbanks headless winter project

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Oct 13 2013, 18:59

Rusting strip it is really good, well was but is still ok

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:01

Lewis MacRae wrote:Rusting strip it is really good, well was but is still ok
never heard of it ...

may be worth giving it a go .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:04

I'll get a pic later on of the tin.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:04

What are peoples opinion on undercoats ? You can get many colours but would a green be best due to that whats the engine is going to be . Also if lighter you can see where missed bits

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:21

Always use grey, never had a problem.

Did use pink once on the Amanco, Ruston PT and a Lee Howl pump once.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:33

Villiers wrote:Always use grey, never had a problem.

Did use pink once on the Amanco, Ruston PT and a Lee Howl pump once.
to be honest this undercoating never really done , just done 2 of red oxide then top coat with 3 coats but , might as well do a couple of undercoat .

I noticed too i need to get or borrow a 1.1/4 tap for the exhaust and s short length of 1.1/4" pipe ad the one on here has been welded and tweaked so it not as it should be at a 45deg angle like abes's

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sun Oct 13 2013, 21:37

Use a grey under coat the paint code is on the tin that I gave Abes, that code should work with other paint companys. The transfers I have are the exact match
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Oct 13 2013, 22:27

hi matt here's rustins stryipit for you

http://www.transtools.co.uk/image/cache/PaintingAndDecorating/rustins-strypit(1)-350x350.jpg

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 13 2013, 22:32

il give it a try ,

Thanks , matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 18 2013, 19:54

just a little update lads ..

have over the week painted the block with 2 coats of red oxide , and then some quite rough casting patches decided a light skim of filler and then another rub down and wet and dry it all smooth , then a recoat on the bits that needed recoating due to being rubbed through .

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 0014_zps9498b853

and have just started the job of paint stripping ...

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 0032_zps34f47408

is it ok to let this stuff dry and come back to it a few hours later or even next day ?

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Fri Oct 18 2013, 19:57

Is that green the primer that was used before hand? Also what Paint stripper do you use? Wouldn't it be easier to take the flywheels of for stripping the paint as they would lie flat.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 18 2013, 20:38

Lewis MacRae wrote:Is that green the primer that was used before hand? Also what Paint stripper do you use? Wouldn't it be easier to take the flywheels of for stripping the paint as they would lie flat.    
I have taken on board regarding removal of the flywheels but i have tried various ways to get off and the next stage would be to take into work and press it off but since they been on this many years and are tight they can stay on there with no fear coming off ! I will just have to work around them Mad 

i think the light green is a primer as a rather flat finish but there is a darker green gloss too which i think is the original colour , I have scrapped the red off what i have used paint stripper on and down to mostly green now , another coat to see if will shift it then a wire brush on grinder ???

im new to using paint stripper as normally get sand blasted of wire brush on grinder but this has alot of areas where wont get in .

Oh its notromoors as dad had 5 ltrs in his garage Laughing Laughing 

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 19 2013, 19:18

done a little bit more today , but today had been taken up fabricating and welding bits up today for trolleys . and stoves ....

anyway another coat and left for 4 hours ish and given a scrape and a wire brush by hand .... next think wire brush on grinder will be called for .

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 0025_zps3b33f686

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 0035_zps4784842c

This paint stripping is not a quick job i can tell you and especially on flywheels too ..

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Oct 19 2013, 19:23

Ye I know what you mean it takes ages. I made the mistake of getting a part stripped back to bare metal then went to prime it two days later and there was some surface rust appearing. wire brush on drill is ok but the brush on the grinder is more harsh isn't it?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 19 2013, 19:28

Lewis MacRae wrote:Ye I know what you mean it takes ages. I made the mistake of getting a part stripped back to bare metal then went to prime it two days later and there was some surface rust appearing. wire brush on drill is ok but the brush on the grinder is more harsh isn't it?
wire brush on drill for smaller places but grinder with a twist knot cup brush best , but also can use sand discs for grinder with a backing plate or a flap disc is goo and dont need a backing plate to mount them .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 20 2013, 19:00

fully primed now after 3 coats of red oxide and rubbed down between coats , now i need to order the top coat when i know what the colour is .... thing is do i bother with a undercoat .....Laughing we all know we skip that stage and go to top coats Rolling Eyes 

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 2 005_zps7afca5a4

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Oct 20 2013, 19:49

have you started on the other parts yet ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 20 2013, 19:54

Lewis MacRae wrote:have you started on the other parts yet ?
not yet bar the flywheels as the block is the biggest part so that was the idea to get that done , plus with all my other jobs , there only so much time .
once get the stove all done and in shed will be well away with painting in the winter months .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 25 2013, 21:56

lads have had the industrial paint stripper arrive today and it does sound potent .... sayd wear goggles gloves mash and do not inhale fumes contains asitone and the company are not liable for any harm caused by this product ....

sounds promising doesnt it , will have a go over the weekend if have time .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Oct 26 2013, 03:55

sounds like your having a intoxic ating weekend then matt
"for flying ducks sake" be carefull " mate
dont do it in your little brick shed by the sounds of the stuff,or you may be floating out again later Smile 
happy stripping
p.s i also dont find a difference between red or grey oxide these days "since the lead bans "
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Oct 26 2013, 11:41

[quote="matt86"]lads have had the industrial paint stripper arrive today and it does sound potent .... sayd wear goggles gloves mash and do not inhale fumes contains asitone and the company are not liable for any harm caused by this product ....

sounds promising doesnt it , will have a go over the weekend if have time .

matt[/quote]
Might work then!!!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 26 2013, 21:19

kevjhnsn wrote:sounds like your having a intoxic ating weekend then matt
"for flying ducks sake" be carefull " mate
dont do it in your little brick shed by the sounds of the stuff,or you may be floating out again later Smile 
happy stripping
p.s i also dont find a difference between red or grey oxide these days "since the lead bans "
kev

only place i can really do it kev but do it near the door and do it then go and leave it for a bit and come back later .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Oct 26 2013, 21:33

that paint stripper sounds lethal!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 26 2013, 21:33

Lewis MacRae wrote:that paint stripper sounds lethal!
il let you know tommorow ...

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum