www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Cleaning flywheels

+7
mm5aho
blackvanman
Foden
kevjhnsn
Abes
matt86
TomCat
11 posters

Go down

Cleaning flywheels Empty Cleaning flywheels

Post by TomCat Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:34

I have managed to get get my flywheel and pulley back to a clean(ish) state, but there is still some pitting that spoils the appearance. I don't want to paint them as I'd prefer a more polished finish. I've done the emery paper while running to get them to their present state. My son has suggested using an angle grinder on them while running, but I reckon that could get us both a Darwin award nomination if it picked up or kicked back. My neighbour has suggested using an old house brick with water as a rubbing block, again with the engine running.... Are they trying to get rid of me, or would this work?
Does anybody have any tips on cleaning them up further?
Cleaning flywheels Wd114
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Cleaning flywheels Empty Re: Cleaning flywheels

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:38

get the flywheel skimmed on a lathe and that would have a nice face then .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:44

As Matt suggested skimming would be the only proper way

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:07

I thought skimming would be the answer, all I need now is to find somebody friendly with a lathe that could do the job, without charging an arm and a leg.
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:59

TomCat wrote:I thought skimming would be the answer, all I need now is to find somebody friendly with a lathe that could do the job, without charging an arm and a leg.
when i get mine back to this point like yours
i just use a flat metal file ,or if deep pitting i just set my self a armrest on the downwards of rotation side ,and use a lath cutting tool and take my time scimming away with a sensable hand load of pressur and slide arm slowly across the full flywheel width,may take a few goes to make good progress ,but at the end you save a fortune in machine shop and get to know your engine better:) 
then just file across it slowly and then maybe sand papers again if you so wish
dont us any loose clothing or rags for protection either
just sensable gloves and eye protection googles
and take you time
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Oct 13 2013, 22:09

Once it is skimmed, however you do it, rust will re-appear when a black cloud is lurking!Shocked   I had a flywheel skimmed a couple of years ago and now wish that I had just painted it like Lister did originally.Smile 

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Oct 14 2013, 00:26

Foden wrote:Once it is skimmed, however you do it, rust will re-appear when a black cloud is lurking!Shocked   I had a flywheel skimmed a couple of years ago and now wish that I had just painted it like Lister did originally.Smile 

Pete.
pete
so bloody true is that mate
if you forget to keep it oiled up or polish the engine on the saturday morning and forget to re oil before loading for home 3-4 days later rust has started
so its back out with the sand paper ect ect ,so the last few restorations as pete says ive painted all the flywheels completly, but suppose you could paint the bits you want to look bare with a shiny metal coloured paint
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Mon Oct 14 2013, 09:39

My Grandad swore by the brick method, BUT I think yours is beyond that, as already said, get it skimmed.
RE rust reforming one thing I was going to do was laquer it, but then decided I may want to drive off it lol

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mm5aho Tue Oct 15 2013, 20:05

What about getting it skimmed, then get it hot dip galvanized, then paint the parts you want painted.
That way beauty where you want it (painted)
Untility where you want it (drive off etc)

and no rust anywhere no matter what black coulds come along.

mm5aho
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Oct 15 2013, 20:51

I will be honest but I rarely have problems with flywheels rusting after cleaning the rims, what I do is with the engine running use a beer towel or small towel and hold that against the flywheel, add oil to the towel and make the engine work a bit, do this regular and it forms a "shield" and water doesn't settle on the face so it doesn't rust (much)

My BPR, before Astle this year, this was a pre Astle start up and run, first time in 2 years and no, flywheels have NOT been touched.

Cleaning flywheels IMG-20130617-00340_zps193db708
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:40

Don't panic guys, I'm still here. I haven't done anything silly with angle grinders.... yet, only a flap wheel in a drill. I spent Tuesday giving the flywheel a good old sand down followed by vigorous but gentle(ish) filing and have got rid of most of the pitting, I took the flywheel off the engine and made a sturdy cradle in a workmate so I could get to work and not worry about iron dust on the paintwork or the flywheel dropping on the floor. It was like being an apprentice again and to be honest I quite enjoyed it, apart from the black dust. It must be 40 + years since I did any 'real' drawfiling and it's looking a lot better than before, it was also a chance to sort out my file collection to see what ones still have a good set of teeth. I'm off work again Tomorrow, so I'll have another go and see what I can achieve with some finer files and some more elbow grease.

Steve
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Thu Oct 17 2013, 19:58

I had another go today and I'm well pleased with the results so far. I had the missus on the crank handle (after removing mag and plug) while I went at the flywheel with an 80 grit flap wheel... bless her. I aimed the grit wheel so it assisted in turning the flywheel to save her arms. After an hour or so and many coffee breaks and promises of treats the polishing was coming on well, after my final offer of a take-away Indian on Sat night was accepted she decided enough was enough and went off to do some girly stuff. I decided an engine powered run was called for, I went for a 120 grit wheel followed by hand pressure 400 wet and dry lubed with brasso for extra lustre. All in all I reckon the wheel and pulley have come up well, although the pulley could with a bit more near the flywheel, but I don't fancy getting too close and hitting the mounting lugs with a flap wheel. They have been given a coating of Turtle wax polish and motorcycle spray chain lube to keep the black clouds at bay and still look shiney.
Cleaning flywheels Fly-16
Cleaning flywheels Fly-17
Cleaning flywheels Fly-20
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Oct 17 2013, 20:26

that looks much better now Smile 

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Thu Oct 17 2013, 20:55

Good work, you might want to keep an eye on the flywheel as it is supposed to be closer to the bearing housing than that and may come loose.
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Fri Oct 18 2013, 21:53

That's a quality result Squire - obviously loads of effort but a great look. Also good to read / see how you did it

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 19 2013, 08:09

Top job , That Wolseley is crying out for another flywheel on the other side now though !!

Would look smart imho ! Well done

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Oct 19 2013, 21:22

The right look can always be got with lots of hardwork well done mate looks the dogs danglies

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down