www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Fowler 1PA running too fast

4 posters

Go down

Fowler 1PA running too fast Empty Fowler 1PA running too fast

Post by Matth92 Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 pm

I have just fitted the re-con mag on my Fowler, and put the carb back on, after reaming and bushing the throttle spindle as it was very worn, and the engine will only go flat out, even with the governor spring taken off, tickover screw backed right off, and it is now dripping petrol out of the intake as well, I seem to remember some trick to stop them doing that but cant remember what it is, I assume reducing the amount of air being sucked in around the spindle has altered the mixture, I have tried backing off the mixture screw a bit but it doesn't seem to do much

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Fowler 1PA running too fast Empty Re: Fowler 1PA running too fast

Post by matt86 Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Fowler fan would be the man who may know the answer ... is the butterfly in the correct way ? as there is a tapered edge on each side to give you a clue .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:46 pm

matt86 wrote:Fowler fan would be the man who may know the answer ... is the butterfly in the correct way ? as there is a tapered edge  on each side to give you a clue .

matt
Yeah that's allrite, I relapped it into the body with some t cut as the edges were a bit battered but hasn't made much difference, re sealed all the joints, dropped the float level cos it was dripping fuel, just put a thin fibre washer under it, it is a bit slower but you can tell its running too lean, so you choke it a bit and off it goes again, they are a scary engine running flat out, all that rattling and clanking they do, I wonder if having the timing too late could make it run faster, sounds like it might be a bit late

Must make a starting handle for it too, it has a homemade one with a ratchet and its awful, and you gotta crank anticlockwise, will make one of my amanco type ones that drives on the key and make a longer key for the pulley on the other side

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 am

Hi Matt,

Does sound like something wrong with the governor setting but what you have done with the carb and manifold face will eliminate a few things and improve the engine anyway.  You could also check the manifold to block face as I have had a couple of these where you can actually see the gap and it needed a good deal of truing up.

First thing to do is disconnect the rod between the carb and the governor arm.  The governor arm only has a small degree of movement at the pivot but due to the length of the arm the arc of movement is much larger which then allows full travel of the carb butterfly.  When you have the rod disconnected, take the mushroom cap off the end of the carb so that you can see the butterfly position.  The butterfly should close down when you push the spindle lever down. See this image for typical set up when engine isn’t running http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk/FowlerPages/fowler1pa10283-23.htm
 When you push the lever down and see that the butterfly is closed offer up the governor rod and see if the rod travel will actually allow the carb to shut down.  The pivoting arm with the rod fitted should be able to slide back into the carb spindle when the butterfly is closed.  If this is not the case it could be that the spindle lever is not in the correct position (adjusted via the holes on the spindle lever) or the governor rod is not the correct length and it has been replaced or bodged at some point.  Also, you will immediately notice if the butterfly has been fitted correctly as when the governor arm is pushed down fully the butterfly should fully close, not open!  I have seen a couple of Fowlers where the governor has been working in reverse i.e engine speeding up and the butterfly keeps opening which isn’t very clever!  If the governor lever and rod is set up correctly but doesn’t close down you can file a bit off where the arm hits the governor casing, again, possibility replacement parts have been fitted at some stage.

Given your engine has been faster than it should I would take the end governor cover off and check the gears and weights are all ok and intact.  If you prove that the governor mechanism is all fine and working as it should you may have to replace the internal governor springs with lighter ones.  Also, check the governor pushrod that engages with the governor weights isn’t badly worn.  If the length has been reduced then the governor won’t have the full amount of travel and won’t close down enough.  Total length of the pushrod is 1 ¾” going by the drawing in the IF archive.

I have most of my Fowlers set up so that to stop the engine all I need to do is push down the governor arm, rather than earthing the spark.

Keep us posted.
Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:40 pm

I might try sticking the carb off my D type on there to see how it performs, it has always been fairly tempermental with that carburettor

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Matth92 wrote:I might try sticking the carb off my D type on there to see how it performs, it has always been fairly tempermental with that carburettor
matt thats what i will be doing with my fowler , now just on the hunt for a carb but not spending £20 on one .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:03 pm

don't you have a D matt?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:06 pm

me ???

nope i dont . i have done but all have long gone .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 pm

ye you, was looking at old posts so that's why I thought you had one!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Lewis MacRae wrote:ye you, was looking at old posts so that's why I thought you had one!
ahhh i did Laughing 

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

matt86 wrote:
Lewis MacRae wrote:ye you, was looking at old posts so that's why I thought you had one!
ahhh i did Laughing 

matt
I got a rough one here for you, no float bowl or anything though

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Matth92 wrote:
matt86 wrote:
ahhh i did Laughing 

matt
i have a decent float bowl .... is it a standard rotation carb ?

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 pm

matt86 wrote:
Matth92 wrote:
matt86 wrote:
ahhh i did Laughing 

matt
i have a decent float bowl .... is it a standard rotation carb ?

matt
I think so, cant remember, came off a shearing engine

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 pm

ah ok , when i see it i can tell or compare with your D type .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 pm

matt86 wrote:ah ok , when i see it i can tell or compare with your D type .

matt
Im sure it is the normal rotation one

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Right, I have put a D carb on there, I reflated the inlet manifold and put in a new gasket while I was there, and it is still doing it, with the butterfly right shut, I have not got a pipe to rig it up to the tank so have just kept it topped up manually, I will sort out a pipe so I can try it properly rigged up with the D carb

Matt86 did yours have spring washers under the nuts that hold the inlet manifold to the block? Im thinking maybe the idea is it seals on the back of the nuts so it doesn't get air in, might try a fibre washer under that to make a seal, im just really clutching at straws now!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 pm

matt i had flat washers then spring washer then the nut , but mine has not run yet .... but thats how it came when got it .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 pm

matt86 wrote:matt i had flat washers then spring washer then the nut , but mine has not run yet .... but thats how it came when got it .

matt
that might be getting air in down there then, I took it off to reflat both surfaces but couldn't remember what washers were where

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down