www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston & Hornsby 9PB

2 posters

Go down

Ruston & Hornsby 9PB Empty Ruston & Hornsby 9PB

Post by Banksdeb Sun Nov 10 2013, 18:18

I posted in the New Member but maybe should also be here,
Hello all, I have a few R&H engines a very nice CR & 6PS used to start the CR. Also have 3 LBU mining locos ex Elliot Lake Uranium in Sudbury, one is being fully restored & hope to have some track down next year. I currently acquired a 9PB that required some TLC, big end rod bearing wiped have not been able to find a replacement so contemplating machining one from bearing bronze. Should there be a flinger or dipper to aid in the splash lubrication. Any idea of where to source parts also require starting handle. Also hope to be acquiring a 10 ton Aveling road roller with a 3VSH engine in the next few weeks. Cheers David

Banksdeb

Back to top Go down

Ruston & Hornsby 9PB Empty Re: Ruston & Hornsby 9PB

Post by Stamford24 Tue Nov 12 2013, 21:59

In answer to your question, AFAIK there should not be a dipper on the con rod. The gears and I think (when full to the mark) the bottom of the big end throw enough oil around. I suspect it has been run low. Check the mains too especially the pulley side.
I don't think I have heard of a CR is that a multi cylinder engine? and what type of mag does the 6PS use out of interest please? Your best bet for information is to look up the Ruston Hornsby website and contact Ray Hooley who can give you help and details on your engines, as for spares we make do with what we can find on ebay or bring and buy sales. Also the magazine Stationary Engine available from WH Smiths has a wanted section you could try as well as the forums.

Mark

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Banksdeb Sat Nov 16 2013, 15:00

Mark, thanks for your reply. The CR is a single cyl. used in Saskatchewan Wheat Pool powering a grain elevator, ran into the late 60's I believe. The 6PS has a WIPAC mag. I have know Ray for many years he has been very helpful. Cheers David

Banksdeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down