www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Corbett's mill and Lister D

5 posters

Go down

Corbett's mill and Lister D Empty Corbett's mill and Lister D

Post by Locknut Sat Nov 23 2013, 17:19

I thought you guys might like to see some photos of my first stationary engine project that I have been quietly working on for the last 7 months :-

Corbett's mill and Lister D 9e45f88d-df22-40df-a061-f4647dafcfb2_zps9bf85991

Corbett's mill and Lister D 10a184a2-f419-4faa-9306-611358c8524a_zpseccdd38e

Corbett's mill and Lister D 9bd5723b-eb70-4fe8-98f7-03d8f78a667d_zpsd1d7d60f

It is a 1950 Lister D which I have restored and left in its working clothes and then hooked up to a Corbett's Plymouth corn grinding mill( which needed minor restoration).I use this set up on a weekly basis to grind wheat for using in home baking.I like this set up because not only does it help me ( make flour) but it is using the engine and mill for what they were originally made for.

Hope this is of interest.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Corbett's mill and Lister D Empty Re: Corbett's mill and Lister D

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Nov 23 2013, 17:36

That's a great looking D ( and corn mill), I've got a smaller corn mill. Dosen't look it but if you haven't already lightly oil the engine and mill to stop it rusting in the winter!!!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Nov 23 2013, 17:38

oh, just looked at your photobucket, that's a nice looking Stuart you have!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Nov 23 2013, 18:57

Hi Lewis,
Thanks for your comments - I used engine oil on the 'D' but I agree it doesnt look like it - so I will go over it again!I also put anti-freeze in the water hopper (50/50 mix).I covered the mill with waxoil, but this has now got a thin covering of very fine flour particles on it which certainly gives it a used look which I like.
All the best.
Kevin.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Nov 23 2013, 19:01

Hi Lewis,
Sorry I forgot to add that I have posted a thread in the New projects/restoration section ref my Stuart.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Nov 23 2013, 20:34

Locknut wrote:Hi Lewis,
Thanks for your comments - I used engine oil on the 'D' but I agree it doesnt look like it - so I will go over it again!I also put anti-freeze in the water hopper (50/50 mix).I covered the mill with waxoil, but this has now got a thin covering of very fine flour particles on it which certainly gives it a used look which I like.
All the best.
Kevin.
The antifreeze is better than making a mess of the floor of your shed, regarding the stuart you'll have the shed lit up light Blackpool when it's done! LOL

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Nov 23 2013, 20:38

Thats what I am hoping for! I was reckoning on getting a couple of old tractor plough lamps and using them.
Kevin.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Corbett's mill and Lister D Empty Corbetts mill

Post by wobblyrodney Fri Oct 03 2014, 21:31

Hi
I am in the process of building up the same set up using a Lister D engine plus a Corbetts "Plymouth" grinding mill no/4297
Perhaps you can advise me on the correct wheat to use, having been down my local farm and been given a couple of bags that came straight from the conbine harvester! (thinking about the future months.)Idea
This wheat seems to have small bits of stalk etc in it.
Maybe it needs sifting? maybe you could advise me.Question
thanks
Wobblyrodney

wobblyrodney
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Oct 04 2014, 08:53

Hi Rodney,
Wheat straight off the combine,if you can get it,will be the cheapest option but it will need sieving( I think the term is winnowing and you do see winnowing machines offered sometimes) to get rid of the 'field debris' eg bits of wheat stalks,chaff, weeds,large weed seeds,small stones etc out- there is a crude 'sieve' device on the mill( mine is missing) which works after a fashion.I sieve mine using a fine garden sieve and do get a lot of rubbish out but not all.The mill will cope with the rubbish,apart from the stones, but you will get it coming through into the flour.You can also buy feed wheat from your local animal feed supplier/farm shop ,but it works out expensive - but it will be clean.
I find that you have to adjust the flow rate of the wheat into the grinding plates quite carefully using the slide control - too much and with the 'D' driving it the plates will choke and stall,too little and it will take for ever!
Good luck! Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Oct 04 2014, 08:57

I forgot to add that when sieving I wear a dust mask as wheat straight off the combine can be very dusty - better safe than sorry!
Let us know how you get on.
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Oct 04 2014, 10:16

What you need is a dresser.

http://www.stationaryengine.org/lister_d_gosfield_2003.jpg

Best wheat to use for bread making is, well, bread making wheat. Most wheat grown is "feed wheat" this is a poorer quality wheat with a soft husk ideal for animal feed, if you got some proper bread making wheat (Known as milling wheat) you will see the difference
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Corbett's mill and Lister D Empty Corbetts Mill

Post by wobblyrodney Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:11

Hi To Everyone
Thank you all very much for your guidance, 64 years old retired through ill health but still willing to learn Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Will keep you informed on rising dough Laughing Laughing
Thank You
Wobblyrodney

wobblyrodney

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Mon Oct 06 2014, 11:41

Okay a moment for the health and safety brigade coming on - I absolutely admire these setups and the dedication of the boys and girls who use their skills to keep the wheels turning - however - just a moment of your time to remember that in the world of health and safety any plant producing flour dust is one of the most explosive hazardous environments in the world you can be in - even more than an oil and gas platform  - there are huge safety regulations concerning the running of such plants and the equipment allowed inside the same environment as flour dust - I know we're talking a very different domestic set up from a large commercial set up but the combination of a fuel (the dust) and an ignition source (the lister d exhust, engine block tempreture etc) must not be forgotton....

I think the temperatures coming from the engine block of a lister d may be low enough but other ignition sources (the spark plug lead or magneto) need to be thought about.

I only say this so you're aware there is an issue to be considered - not that you need to cover everyting in some kind of ceramic plate - the last thing anybody wants is to hear a loud pop coming from the garden and parts of the shed flying all over the place..... or a lot worse...

Its reffered to as a 'Hazardous Location' and there is plenty of info out there on the web -

not trying to be a spoil sport - just want you to think about it  - to ensure happy days for many years to come!

A scenario:
Large bags of flour are damaged on racking creating particles in the air, a spark from the electrical system on a pallet truck provides enough energy to ignite the powder cloud.

A build-up of powder in layer form can be hazardous to unprotected electrical equipment leading to excessive heat and shorting of electrical components.

Conducting powders can cause electrical short, leading to component failure heat build-up and fire.

Happy baking and be safe out there - its a jungle.

Feel free to PM me  - I work in oil and gas and have a number of sources for advise on hazardous locations and engines...

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down