www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS

2 posters

Go down

General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS Empty General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS

Post by Handmade Matt Tue Jan 07 2014, 23:08

Hi guys.
I've just bought a Petter AC1ZS
I'm picking it up tomorrow.
There's limited info on the Internet from what I can find and I am keen to learn as much as possible about this engine.
Some technical resources would also be useful.
Ta very much.

Matt

Handmade Matt
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS Empty Re: General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS

Post by blackvanman Wed Jan 08 2014, 01:10

Handmade Matt wrote:Hi guys.
I've just bought a Petter AC1ZS
I'm picking it up tomorrow.
There's limited info on the Internet from what I can find and I am keen to learn as much as possible about this engine.
Some technical resources would also be useful.
Ta very much.

Matt
have a manual/parts list in pdf format Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS Empty Re: General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS

Post by Handmade Matt Wed Jan 08 2014, 18:03

I've pick the engine and generator up.
The seller was a lovely guy living in a little cottage in the middle of the woods.
He has a massive steam traction engine, all rusty but he says it runs well.
He had ton's of great bits and bobs, old motorcycles, machines and tools. I told him to call me if ever he has a clean out!
He showed me a fantastic old Lister H (I think he said.) It's in a purpose built shed running a generator all "start-o-matic" from the house. He showed me it running. It was fantastic.

So, I got the heavy old bugger home, it was a lot bigger than I expected. Strangely the generator is huge for a 1.3kw, the same size as another of his that was 3kw.

It's come with some great load of wires with an old ammeter and various switches that allowed the generator to be turned on from the cottage (not his, another.) The set up would have provided 12v DC to the generator to turn and start the Petter.

He connected 12v DC to the input wires and the thing spun well and sounded good.
The compression on the Petter feels OK but I've not felt one before.
Part of the starting procedure involves flicking a de-compressor valve over I think. This is currently connected to an old solenoid for the automatic starting I assume. It doesn't seem to decompress the cylinder though whatever I do. When I bounce the fly wheel forwards and backwards off the compression it doesn't vary whatever I do with this lever that feels a little loose anyway. I will have to investigate.

Can anyone help me date this engine? I assume it's from the e1970's?
General info wanted on a Petter AC1ZS _1210
At some point I'll also be looking for a fuel tank and exhaust for her.

Handmade Matt
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Jan 08 2014, 21:16

contact Jim Perkins he should be able to help, bloody nice chap Smile
http://www.petterengines.co.uk/index.htmlhttp://www.petterengines.co.uk/index.html

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Jan 09 2014, 01:06

more for you, I was very fortunate that fate landed me quite a rare book of the full history of Petter up to 1995 for the sum of 50p, I since found out the book sells for MUCH more than I paid for it, but I am keeping hold of it.

This is the book: *here* the prices vary, there are currently some lower priced copies, the normal average price is over a ton so if anyone wants a copy get in quick LOL.
RE your engine here is what it says:

1979- The introduction of the AC1ZS, the new PAZ1 as it was sometimes called. Two models were made: the 805 of 1.6 to 2.2 bhp @ 1,000/1,250 r/min and the 806 of 2.2 to 3.3 bhp @1,250/1,800 r/min.

for reference here is what its says about the PAZ1

1954- The famous PAZ1 announced. One of the most loved and long-lived engines from Petters. The PAZ1 and its later companion, the PAZ1 Compact, were the backbone of the small cement mixer and water-pump market in post war Britain. The PAZ1 was a vertical, single cylinder, air cooled diesel of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 bhp @ 1,000 and 1,500 r/min. It later became a firm favourite with African and Far East markets where it was used extensively to drive rice hullers and root cutters, etc. The engine was so respected overseas that Petters produced the AC1ZS, a version of their lightweight, high-speed, A range of diesels in the late seventies when the original PAZ1 was phased out.

Taking some of the above info into account, yours will be governed @ 1500rpm for your alternator which on those grounds will be a 4 pole unit. Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Jan 11 2014, 18:51

did you get my email???

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Handmade Matt Sat Jan 11 2014, 20:02

I did thanks although my laptop was out of action. I didn't want to trawl through that PDF on my phone so I've been waiting, hence no reply.
I just had a look through it on the laptop and it looks great.
Thanks very much.

Incidentally, what I thought was the decompression lever was not. I have since found it (where it ought to be) on top of the cylinder and it works great. What I was fiddling with was the "stop/ run lever" which is connected to a solenoid. I guess that when the unit was start-o-matic the motor/ generator was powerful enough to turn the engine over past compression without the de-compressor lever being required.
What does the start/ run lever actually do then? Mechanically turn on or off the fuel pump or something?

Thanks again.

Handmade Matt
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Jan 12 2014, 02:25

Handmade Matt wrote:I did thanks although my laptop was out of action. I didn't want to trawl through that PDF on my phone so I've been waiting, hence no reply.
I just had a look through it on the laptop and it looks great.
Thanks very much.

Incidentally, what I thought was the decompression lever was not. I have since found it (where it ought to be) on top of the cylinder and it works great. What I was fiddling with was the "stop/ run lever" which is connected to a solenoid. I guess that when the unit was start-o-matic the motor/ generator was powerful enough to turn the engine over past compression without the de-compressor lever being required.
What does the start/ run lever actually do then? Mechanically turn on or off the fuel pump or something?

Thanks again.
basically Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down