www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Donkey Engine?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Donkey Engine?

Post by stationaryal on Thu Jan 09 2014, 16:54

Love this site, been lingering for a while! Currently only own one engine, an ex lawn mower job which I have used to drive a generator (alternator)
Been interested in engines since a lad when I used to prowl the local building sites just to see and listen to the Dumper Trucks used for moving building materials around the sites.

My memory is of these single cylinder diesel engines being started for the days work with the opening of a decompression lever, while being cranked up to speed, which was then closed to allow the engine to fire with glorious clouds of black smoke as the engine fired its way to a super slow tickover (I even liked the smell!)

I was told that these were 'Donkey Engines' and would love to acquire one (although I guess they were coupled direct to the dumpers gearbox) I have never even seen one since them days long ago.

Is anything like that still around?

Alan

stationaryal

Back to top Go down

Re: Donkey Engine?

Post by Matth92 on Thu Jan 09 2014, 17:18

Sounds Like you mean a Petter AVA1 or PAZ1 or Lister LD1, LR1 etc, plenty of them about and you can still pick them up fairly cheaply, I sold a very nice original LD1 all running for £70 a few months back

Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationaryal on Thu Jan 09 2014, 19:49

Thanks for the reply, had a look at some youtube links and they look quite chunky engines but they sound lovely! I enjoy the first few combustions as they come up to speed.
Have to keep my eyes open.

Alan

stationaryal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:08

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top