www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D type

3 posters

Go down

Lister D type Empty Lister D type

Post by spit-bang Sat Jan 11 2014, 15:11

I had a play with this today, got it just before xmas but have only just got round to having a go because I had the magneto drying out in the airing cupboard over xmas. Its serial no. is 10862DH2.  It was supplied to Alfa Laval Brentford on 10/09/52. Its the type that would of had the Milking pump attatched to the flywheel side of the cylinder head. after refitting the mag and freeing off the governor and throttle spindle I gave the insides a squirt of oil., put some petrol in the float bowl and it went after a few swings. Was a bit hairy because it tried to take off, but i managed to pull the lead off the plug as i hadnt screwed the terminal on in case things didnt go to plan. Turns out the vertical governor rod was bent and were catching against carb body luckily I had a spare one and it seems to run a lot slower now. Didnt run it for long because ive got no petrol at the mo, so next step is to give it a longer run to make sure all is ok. I suspect it may need the valves grinding or cylinder head gasket as there seems to be a lot of compression leakoff.  I intend to leave it as it is paint wise, as it has a good majority of original paint left on it. Lister D type 00211

spit-bang
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister D type Empty Re: Lister D type

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Jan 11 2014, 16:55

that is a lot of original paint, it looks great!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spit-bang Sat Jan 11 2014, 20:09

Thanks, the worst area of paint loss is around the hopper, maybe from boiling over at some point?

spit-bang
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister D type Empty lister D

Post by Locknut Sat Jan 11 2014, 20:29

A great engine in lovely original condition - good on you for finding it and bringing it back into service.
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by spit-bang Sat Jan 11 2014, 21:39

cheers mate, Im looking forward to giving it a decent run at some point. hopefully nothing nasty will unveil itself.

spit-bang
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down