www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Painting on a budget

5 posters

Go down

Painting on a budget Empty Painting on a budget

Post by Gubble1234 Fri Feb 21 2014, 01:27

Hi, I'm just wondering what people do when they go about painting their machines?

I'm gonna need to be painting my engine once its built, but I can't afford to get it professionally sprayed and whatnot. I have seen a lot of pictures of engines that are just amazing and I would like to be able to do something like that, but on a budget.

It would be good to hear a few ideas people have!

Thanks,
Chris

Gubble1234
A true Stationary engine owner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124784028@N05/

Back to top Go down

Painting on a budget Empty Re: Painting on a budget

Post by Foden Fri Feb 21 2014, 16:31

Most restored engine's are brush painted so get yourself some decent primer (I use Wilkos red primer, never had a problem with it) and some decent machinery enamel. Undercoat is optional, I use it but some do not, the choice is yours. I can paint an engine, two primer coats, two undercoats and three gloss coats for around £20 or less with enough paint for at least two engine's, of the same colour of course! Very Happy  Use decent brushes, I 'bed' a brush in on primer before using it for top coats as that rounds the bristles off nicely. Allow plenty of drying time between coats, a day between primer coats and then a few days before I apply the undercoat's. Then leave it for a week before glossing it, I rub down lightly between coats with a kitchen foam pad for pot cleaning! Leave the finished engine for around a week before putting fuel near it. When I start a restoration the first things I paint are the tank and carb, then leave them near the radiator to harden off while I tackle the rest of the engine. That's MY way, everyone has a different method.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Fri Feb 21 2014, 19:27

I use Red oxide in a rattle can, easier as you don't need to clean more brushes.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Fri Feb 21 2014, 23:49

Thanks, just the explaination I was looking for! Very Happy

I'm just about finished putting my Villiers Mk 20 back together, gonna tackle painting the covers next weekend I think, too much exam prep during the week!

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Feb 22 2014, 09:29

[quote="Gubble1234"] but I can't afford to get it professionally sprayed
Chris[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing  Don't worry fella, most of us can't ether. Brush, paint, good quality gloss paint, although I have been known to use Dulux and time.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Fri Mar 21 2014, 23:33

well, if your really lazy you could leave it under a tree for a season or two. here's what you'll see: a brownish orange under coat will form first (don't worry if it comes out rough and rust like) then after a spell of wet weather your lovely coat of green moss will occur!! unfortunately it's more of a light brunswick green rather that mid. the best thing about it is it grows back ready for next years rallies!! Laughing Rolling Eyes lol! lol! 

seriously though, I think as long as it says something along the lines of machine paint i think you're okay. remember, its all in the preparation though my engineering teacher told us a good saying " always remember the 4 P's... proper preparation prevents p***ing up"

hope this helps in some sort of way!!

callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Wed Mar 26 2014, 00:16

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

It seems I won't have to paint this one after all! My dads friend who runs a garage does painting and we have just managed to get some paint made up to match the original colour!

I'm gonna do all the prep and priming, but I'll buy him a box of lager, or maybe a bottle of whiskey in exchange for getting it sprayed! Very Happy

I had a go painting part of it a week or two ago, it was okay for my first time painting but it didn't look too great in my opinion.

If a box of lager is all it costs, that's fine with me! Smile

I did paint the exhaust, cylinder and cylinder head though, and it looks rather good I think! Just used a heat resistant spray paint for that, ended up painting half of the shed too.

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Wed Mar 26 2014, 00:19

sounds good,
paint on the shed, all the more authentic!! Laughing Very Happy 

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down