www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

top tips for trolley building

4 posters

Go down

top tips for trolley building  Empty top tips for trolley building

Post by callum12 Wed Mar 26 2014, 00:34

hi all,
as i need to get my piston out of my lister d i thought now is a good time to fit it to its new trolley. i have 20mm axles with wielded 4 spoked wheels and the timbers (two long bits with glued blocks in-between them joining them together). to mount the axles i was thinking about pillow blocks see here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UCP-Metric-Self-Lube-Bearing-Pillow-Blocks-Normal-Duty-/320695884156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4aaaf6d97c

i know it really isn't necessary but i think painted mid-brunswick green they will look very smart. to mount them to the timbers i thought about coach bolts straight through the timbers and a nut on the end. then paint the tops of the coach bolts black to make then look nicer.
i understand an engine should be mounted with the flywheel running along the length of the trolley incase the belt snags, it won't pull the engine over.
what do you think about this and any top tips? it will be my first trolley build (even though i brought the timber bit pre made of ebay) so any top would be really great.

thank you very much,
Callum
callum12
callum12
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

top tips for trolley building  Empty Re: top tips for trolley building

Post by callum12 Fri Mar 28 2014, 21:00

I've just received the pillow blocks and they look very good. i will fit them tomorrow. i got the self aligning ones so if I'm off by a few millimetres it won't bind or anything.

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodit Fri Mar 28 2014, 21:10

Hiya it least your trolley will be easy to pull, it sound as though you are doing a grand job, lets see it when its finished.

Rodit

Rodit
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sat Mar 29 2014, 07:03

a tip would be maybe stay away from bare oak as it reacts with iron
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Sat Mar 29 2014, 20:20

thats interesting, does the oak damage the iron or the iron damage the oak?

they didn't have any long enough coach bolts at B&Q so i've used a hex head bolt and counter sunk it. i'll paint the zinc coated bits matt black to make it look vintage.
I also picked up two cast brass lister plaques from last years GDSF. i'll fit those to the side of the trolley.

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Mar 30 2014, 08:22

not sure if it eats the iron or just stains the oak - good question, - I wouldn't countersink the hex heads but leave them proud with a washer all adds to the look I think.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Sun Mar 30 2014, 20:47

a bit late i'm afraid, their already countersunk! Rolling Eyes  it would have looked good without like you say.
I haven't been able to get at the trolley today unfortunately. i've been at one year old birthday parties!
what i do need to do is get some 21mm pipe to put over the axles the space it away from the trolley otherwise the wheels will rub. or i could put a split pin on both sides of the wheel.

callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixie Thu Apr 23 2015, 22:43

The tannin in the Oak corrodes the iron or steel. Best bet is to use stainless steel or brass.
Bob

Nixie
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down