www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Some sort of motorised trolley

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some sort of motorised trolley

Post by Gubble1234 on Thu Mar 27 2014, 19:46

I have been looking for something for my little Villiers to power for a while now when I came across this lovely thing on eBay and wondered if I could make something similar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390786921343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I don't think I want to make something exactly the same as that, I would like to actually be able to ride it too.

I have come up with a few simple ideas, but none of them really are ideal as the engine would need to be at the rear meaning I wouldn't be able to carry things with it like I want to.

I did think of a way to have the engine at the front, but that just opened a whole new can of worms with either having the front wheels powered and using them to steer or having some sort of pulley system to drive the back wheels which I have visions of breaking when it gets snaged on something.

I might also be getting a twin cylinder Coventry Victor engine soon, so I might use that for this project instead of the Villiers.

Building the framework for it shouldn't be a problem as I am able to do basic welding and know people who are much better welders.

If anyone has any ideas for how to power it, please share them! I'll try and get a few scans of my plans up soon and maybe even a model built.

Thanks,
Chris

Gubble1234
A true Stationary engine owner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124784028@N05/

Back to top Go down

Re: Some sort of motorised trolley

Post by NoelA on Sun Mar 30 2014, 21:46

If you fancy a project!

NoelA
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 on Mon Mar 31 2014, 22:50

Oh wow, that looks brilliant! If you were closer, I'd take that off of your hands straight away!

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by NoelA on Tue Apr 01 2014, 19:09

I think it's a great little thing.
A friend has it at a recent property purchase along with a couple of Lister generator sets but I just don't have time or the room (if you ask the better half No ).

NoelA
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 on Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:40

I take it it doesn't run at the moment?

I've just purchased a gearbox (3 speed plus reverse) to start the project off. Gonna get a load of steel when I next get payed along with an 11hp Honda Engine. Didn't want to use my Villiers as I will have to take the governer out, and I've just put it back together!

Finally got a design in mind for building the clutch too. Just going to use pulleys and whatnot.

Going to have 4 wheels too instead of just 3. Gives better stability and easier to make it steer!

I'm still not too sure if I should put the engine at the front like I originally planned or put it at the back under the flatbed. If it's at the front, theres gonna have to be a really long chain going to the back which I don't really want, but then if it's at the back I can't have the flatbed very low.

Any ideas, feel free to share!

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Wed Apr 02 2014, 08:42

Have the engine in a box at front of bed that act as a seat on the top? Or engine at front and make front wheel drive..

Matt

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodit on Wed Apr 02 2014, 18:23

There used to be quite a lot of front wheel drive trucks about, the weight on the front helps with grip and keep the flat bed free for carrying and lower to the ground, quite a simple but trusted design..

Rodit

Rodit
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 on Thu Apr 03 2014, 09:43

Hmm, that would be definitely good, but I'm not sure about doing the steering and making it front wheel drive. How could I go about that?

The gearbox should be here in a few days, so I shall see how big/heavy it I may be able to squeeze the engine under the flatbed depending on how I mount it.

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 05:44

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top