www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

magneto storage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

magneto storage

Post by gerrybongo on Sun Mar 30 2014, 00:29

Is there any special reccommendations for the storage of magnetos , i know the basics of keeping them warm and dry ie in the airing cupboard , but do they need spin turning every month or so , a bit like hatching eggs . Or can you just leave them until needed . i have a couple of spares that work great and i would hate to find when i need to use one that they no longer work .

gerrybongo
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Re: magneto storage

Post by Villiers on Sun Mar 30 2014, 08:11

I leave mine on the engine in the shed, never had a problem, the Petter A1 on my sawbench sat outside for years without a cover over the engine and that was fine as well.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.rcoleplumbingservices.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Sun Mar 30 2014, 10:46

I leave mine on as well, however if they are already off of the engine then an airing cupboard or similar will do no harm at all. No need to spin them either, without an HT lead to earth it can do more harm than good!

Pete.

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Sun Mar 30 2014, 11:50

ive heard a lot of the older generation take them off and put them in the airing cupboard
I bought a LISTER B some years ago, and the mag was off of it, the seller went to the airing cupboard. I my self leave them on, just cover them up in the shed...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut on Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:13

Hi - Like the others I leave my mag on my Lister D all the time, mind it is in a dry shed and I use it weekly for about 40 mins at a time,which probably keeps any damp at bay.If you are not going to use your engine over the winter then there is no harm in taking it off and storing it somewhere warm and dry.Kev.

Locknut
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlBathurst on Sun Mar 30 2014, 20:51

Like the others, i leave mine on ! If i were to take 'em all off i'd need to start putting them back once i took the last one off ! Laughing 

affraid 100ish Allens,1xListerH, 7xListerD's,3xListerA's,2xListerB's,1xListerJ,1ListerLH,2xListerM's,1xListerN,                 1xwolseleyWD11,1xWolsleyWD8,1xRuston1.5PB 1xRustonPB3hp,1xRustonPT, 1xLister CS9/1, 1xAmanco3-1/2hp.

EarlBathurst

http://www.johnallenofoxford.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gerrybongo on Sat Apr 05 2014, 01:08

Luckily or unluckily i have only 2 engines which sadly have to live outside covered , on those i may take the mags off over the bad winter months , but i was really referring to 2 spare mags which i have in the airing cupboard so thats good to know i can just leave them until needed , both with leads and would never spin unless earthed , but a good point to make . But these engines must of lived outside uncovered in all sorts of weather so maybe im been overly concerned , again thanks for all the feed back .

gerrybongo
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Sat Apr 05 2014, 07:57

Spare mags are on the shelf in the shed, next to the paint. I have never had a mag in an airing cupboard. As for engines outside, if you cover them well and wrap them up tight they will suffer more than being left uncovered, you need secure loose covers as this keeps water out and lets air round.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.rcoleplumbingservices.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by gerrybongo on Tue Apr 08 2014, 23:22

I have got a couple of stacking chair covers and just gather them in at the bottom tucked under the mag side to stop the wet blowing up and pop a couple of bungees round , so not mega sealed but kept dry , So spot on with you 'Villiers' thanks , nice to be reassured that i got that right .  But as i have room in my boiler cupboard , not really airing cupboard ' but i keep electric meters , alternator testers etc in there so ideal for them along with spare points plugs condensers and the like , not damp and not hot enough to melt or dry the grease out , i hope .

gerrybongo
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by RustonMark on Wed Apr 09 2014, 11:47

I bring mine in for the winter. Dosn't do any harm, and stops that nasty damp condensation getting into them.

RustonMark
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 03:02

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top