www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Old Tractors

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Tractors

Post by NOVO on Tue Apr 22 2014, 14:22

I have a David Brown Cropmaster that i restored over many years, an Allis Chalmers B that i got hold of recently & a British Anzani Iron Horse two wheeled tractor. I was just wondering if any other members have any tractors & what they are????

NOVO
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Tractors

Post by Lewis MacRae on Tue Apr 22 2014, 14:48

don't have any tractors, but your tractors sound nice!

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spit-bang on Tue Apr 22 2014, 16:34

I have a 1948 Ferguson TEA 20. got it in august last year. enjoyable to drive on the road, cheap insurance too.

spit-bang
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NOVO on Tue Apr 22 2014, 16:57

If i ever learn how to put pictures on here i will. (I'm waiting for a family member to show me, Dont try to explain it to me, I'm too thick Shocked  Sad .) My Cropmaster won "best vintage tractor turnout at Barleylands 2010 which i was quite pleased about. The Allis is just as i got it, could do with a bit of tidying but it's fairly good. I like the Fergie Spit, Very nice,What age is it?? Do you show it or use it ?? I show mine & drive about a bit. Nothing agricultural. (i'd get the tyres dirty jocolor) I know what you mean about driving on the road, I enjoy that too. Do you get waved at a lot ?? (or is it just me)-----Lewis, If you can hear them from Inverness, It's about time i fitted better silencers clown

NOVO
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae on Tue Apr 22 2014, 17:21

[quote Lewis, If you can hear them from Inverness, It's about time i fitted better silencers clown[/quote

lol! lol! lol! you know what I ment!

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spit-bang on Tue Apr 22 2014, 18:10

Its 1948, so its a fairly early one. I just tootle about on the local lanes with it. its at work at the mo. put it there to keep it out of the winter weather as ive no cover for it at home.

spit-bang
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae on Tue Apr 22 2014, 18:24

do you take it to the shows?

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Tue Apr 22 2014, 18:46

Haven't got a tractor Myself but I have been involved in the restoration of a few. Massey-Ferguson 35X, a couple of Internationals and a Fordson petrol/paraffin, would love an Allis B but I have (a) no money to buy one (b) nowhere to store one, and (c) no means of transporting one! Other than that, no problem!!!! Smile 

Pete.

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes on Tue Apr 22 2014, 19:54

This is my little un she's a Massey Harris Vineyard Pony 1951, she now has the proper decals fitted so looks the business also treated her to some new tyres on Friday not sure why though she don't deserve them as she's still giving me a right headache due to starting problems ie she wont, this is my first tractor so a complete novice where fault finding is needed really need to find someone local to point me in the right direction

Last edited by Abes on Tue Apr 22 2014, 20:19; edited 1 time in total

Abes
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spit-bang on Tue Apr 22 2014, 20:04

thats a grand little massey harris Smile. I dont plan to take my fergie to shows. just potter around on it. I only exhibit at 2 rallies a year, so I stick to the engines.

spit-bang
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Tue Apr 22 2014, 20:44

They had a MF Pony up at the farm, it had a two cylinder Hanomag two stroke diesel in it but it was soon disposed of in case the engine went wrong! Smile 

Pete.

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes on Tue Apr 22 2014, 21:30

Yer mine has the simca 4 stroke petrol engine 16bhp top speed of about 8 mph on a good day down hill with the wind behind you lol

Abes
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NOVO on Wed Apr 23 2014, 20:19

I like the Massey Harris Pony Abes, very nice, never seen a vinyard one before. I imagine they must be pretty rare.

NOVO
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes on Wed Apr 23 2014, 22:22

Cheers mate not sure about rare, but haven't seen another on the rally field as yet

NOVO wrote:I like the Massey Harris Pony Abes, very nice, never seen a vinyard one before. I imagine they must be pretty rare.

Abes
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on Wed Apr 23 2014, 23:07

spit-bang wrote:I have a 1948 Ferguson TEA 20. got it in august last year. enjoyable to drive on the road, cheap insurance too.
Much tidier than my fergy, but mine has proper work to do...

Hairyloon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 on Thu Apr 24 2014, 17:42

i've been offered a vintage tractor... in a million pieces! the gears where worn to a point and need the point filing off (or something like that). but other than that its in good condition apparently. i haven't seen it, in fact i don't even know what make/model it is and it was only said in passing. but its good to know the offer's there.
how much work is involved with vintage tractors? is it like: restore, run and general repairs or restore, run, complete rebuild, run, more issues!! i should imagine their quite reliable being tractors.
I do love all things vintage!!
 Very Happy 

callum12
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae on Thu Apr 24 2014, 17:57

what type of tractor???

You got me quite intrigued!

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 on Thu Apr 24 2014, 18:00

he just said an agricultural tractor. I'll ask more about it next time i see him. Very Happy Very Happy 

callum12
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by NOVO on Fri Apr 25 2014, 08:24

callum12 wrote:i've been offered a vintage tractor... in a million pieces! the gears where worn to a point and need the point filing off (or something like that). but other than that its in good condition apparently. i haven't seen it, in fact i don't even know what make/model it is and it was only said in passing. but its good to know the offer's there.
how much work is involved with vintage tractors? is it like: restore, run and general repairs or restore, run, complete rebuild, run, more issues!! i should imagine their quite reliable being tractors.
I do love all things vintage!!
 Very Happy 
Was it a "You can have it" (as in for free) or is money involved. Watch out if it's for sale Callum you can end up with 30cwt of scrap. The pointy gears bit sounds very dodgy. Restoring a tractor is a bit of an open ended operation. It depends what you want. You can get a tractor running in 1/2 an hour or it can take years according to whats wrong with it. My Cropmaster took me 20 years to restore (not full time) My Allis was in good nick when i got it. Also don't underestimate the weight factor. That is, tractors are bl***y heavy have you got the space & the gear (hoists, gantry etc). If you're determined to go for it, take someone with you that knows what to look for. Old tractors are generally well used (worn out) & it sounds like that may be the case with your one. A rebuild from a pile of bit's is not a quick job.

NOVO
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 on Thu May 22 2014, 19:17

Im in the process of selling off a few of my engines to make space and funds for a tractor, I am after a fergie, small david brown, dexta or a Nuffield really, I would ideally like a Nuffield really but not too fussy, ive been offered a MH pony but they are a bit slow for road runs etc...

Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae on Thu May 22 2014, 20:21

dexta's are nice, so are ford 4000's....

Lewis MacRae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 on Thu May 22 2014, 20:37

Lewis MacRae wrote:dexta's are nice, so are ford 4000's....

Theyre blooming dear, Im amazed at how much the later DBs are making these days!

Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 on Thu Jul 03 2014, 19:29

Just done the deal on a petrol tvo DB cropmaster!

Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Thu Jul 03 2014, 19:44

[quote="Matth92"]Just done the deal on a petrol tvo DB cropmaster![/quote]

Top man!! Good tractor them, got the side panels with it? These normally go awol along with the fooking grut brass rad cap.

Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.rcoleplumbingservices.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 on Thu Jul 03 2014, 19:47

Villiers wrote:
Matth92 wrote:Just done the deal on a petrol tvo DB cropmaster!

Top man!! Good tractor them, got the side panels with it? These normally go awol along with the fooking grut brass rad cap.

the only thing I can see missing is the drawbar, but my mate has a spare one....

Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 09:38

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top