www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Old Landrovers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Landrovers

Post by NOVO on Thu Apr 24 2014, 08:40

As well as old tractors, i'm into old Landrovers too. I currently have a series 2A short wheelbase That i bought from a family member. I'm tidying it & doing a few jobs that need doing. When i left school i worked in a local garage & they had a long wheelbase series 1 as a recovery vehicle. since then i've been hooked on Landrover's. (as well as engines & tractors) I used to have a Series 3-109 but had to give that up for more family friendly transport years ago. It is i'm sure a nostalgia thing as other garages i've worked in also had Landrovers, (& one local garage had a Austin Gypsy, nice vehicle but didnt last like Landrovers). I'm thinking that as i get older, sooner or later i wont be able to pull the engines around like i do now, so i can still go to shows with my series 2A. (i hope) I have a Fairbanks morse Z (dishpan engine) that will fit in the back nicely & isnt too heavy. (I'm not decrepit yet but you never know) Anyone else into Landrovers ???

NOVO
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Landrovers

Post by matt86 on Thu Apr 24 2014, 14:15

I've restored a 2a a few years ago with the old man, but never got used so was sold. See it in the summer as it's around the corner to where parents live.

Matt

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NOVO on Thu Apr 24 2014, 16:22

They're heavy on fuel but the spares are so cheap (as i'm finding now i'm getting stuck into it) And i don't have to get it plugged into a computer every 10 mins (at £50 a time) to tell me whats wrong with it. So i reckon it'll get some use in the future. The chassis not bad but i'm considering a galvanized one next year. (Maybe) Oh, & if it packs up at the side of the road i can actually fix it.

NOVO
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Mon Jul 07 2014, 15:04

Ahhh land rovers - if you cut me i am told I bleed little green series ones.... - I had a previous life working for LR - based in sunny climes in East Africa.. I have changed employers now - but still hanker after a series 1. I have been lucky enough to have had a lot of fun in 12 years with the brand - I liked them as a working tool before I joined and now love the older series as toys.... nice to know the stationary engine thing and landies can be combined -although I dont think I could of found a more expensive set of hobbies! - perhaps a race horse next year......

Happy days..

Hamish

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by casper on Wed Jul 23 2014, 19:26

I have a 1966 swb, but mine is fitted with a 200tdi diesel. I've had a few landys, the previous one was a series 3 lightweight, but that only did 18mpg. My 200tdi one is far better. Sunday I drove it 110 miles and it achieved almost 40 mpg, which seems incredible. Only trouble is it has the original gearbox and diffs so it does run out of gears. It does have the bigger wheels with road tyres and an overdrive, which helps.

casper
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Field Marshall on Sun Jan 11 2015, 22:45

Also as well as the tractors and engines we have a 1954 86" series 1, fuel tank has just sprung a leak so time to drop it out and see if we repair it or go for a new tank.

Field Marshall
I really need to post more
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Mon Jan 12 2015, 12:42

if it was put on a landy chassis then I have worked on one from series 1s from  the sortest to the the rare 6 wheelers and then series 2 through to 3 in all guises from fwd controls ambulances ,stage ones and even the mod camper styled long wheel base then range rovers even shortend  them for of roading  even light weights and austin champs and army jeeps and the rapier defender series  ect, its helped as my old man has a collection of over a 100 complete runnners and  another 200-300 for sale, used spares, or repairs

this one bought for me and dad and the 2 girls  drive it to dover, then across europe to ferry to africa then went all across coast to coast and then handed over to the aid workers for 2 more years of work for the delivery of suplies for the hard hit areas and then after the girls finished collage ,collected another 2 landys same as the first  and another 8  spare wheels and tyres and did  it all over again and drove the first one  back ,as seen here before the adventures begin
[ur rl=https://servimg.com/view/16392953/918][/url]

it came home with 168,000 more miles on the clock , and 5 drivers from africa in the back to collect 4 more not as good looking ones to drive back for there villlages 2 of which were donated by my old man with 12mnths mot and 6mnths tax ,just for 3-4 days in uk before the great un resticted roads and vechiles of africa
good old designs and british army HD chassiss go the extra miles
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by casper on Mon Jan 12 2015, 18:32

DSC01261 by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

My landy...

casper
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH on Mon Mar 23 2015, 13:13

You are a man after my own heart Kev  - I managed to get from West coast Africa to East before 2000 - whilst you could still bush camp in Northern Nigeria and managed once to get from UK to Jo'burg (cant say Cape Town as we took a nicer old Defender for the last few miles Smile)

I've played in the deserts of Mali, Tunisia, Algeria and even made a trip to the Hoggar mountains in Algeria and some few days in Libya - all before the world turned to hell in a hand basket.

All were work related - testing vehicles with JLR or in my previous life in the Aid world - series 3s, early diesel defenders and later TDis. I had the absloute pleasure of working with people like you who gave up so much time and money to make the effort to deliver what aid they could direct to the front door of people who need it. You wouldn't believe how much of our donated £ ends up paying for airfares, wages, transport, hotels, houses, insurance, admin, HQ offices etc beofre a few miserable pence get spent on what the hell we were trying to do - thats why i left that world - but thanks to the brave efforts of you lot good work gets done - and a lot of fun in doing it! - Nice one Squire.

Those roads of Africa are just a dream to drive - and the people you meet are very colorfull! but sadly the actions of a few mean the safety is not what is once was so the majority of the folk who live there miss out.- I wouldnt do those same routes today mind you!

Best

Hamish

StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by petterlover on Tue Apr 21 2015, 15:15

I've had a few over the years: 1956 Series One; 1972 Series Two; 1977 Series Three Safari; Ex Paris-Dakar 1981 Range Rover; LPG 1987 Range Rover V8 (LPG); 1986 110 Aid/Search & Rescue vehicle and a 1997 Disco 1, which did have a winch, winch bumper and nearside headlight until some b****** removed them over two nights...

petterlover

Back to top Go down

Post by RustonMark on Tue Apr 28 2015, 11:06

petterlover wrote:I've had a few over the years: 1956 Series One; 1972 Series Two; 1977 Series Three Safari; Ex Paris-Dakar 1981 Range Rover; LPG 1987 Range Rover V8 (LPG); 1986 110 Aid/Search & Rescue vehicle and a 1997 Disco 1, which did have a winch, winch bumper and nearside headlight until some b****** removed them over two nights...

Probably took the winch, then realised it was not much good without the bumper, so came back for it ?  I had a spare wheel nicked once off our defender.  After that I fitted an immobiliser.  I've never fitted a winch, although I would love one.  They're just too nickable. I have to remove the drop hitch every time I leave the vehicle. It takes all the fun out of it. Suspect

RustonMark
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 16:18

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top