www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister H2 Pump failure.

3 posters

Go down

Lister H2 Pump failure. Empty Lister H2 Pump failure.

Post by steamman Wed May 21 2014, 15:27

Hi, could somebody give me some advice, I recently restored my H2 pump, I cleaned up the 4 seals and refitted them and replaced the gland packing, the piston didn't look to bad just a bit pitted so I refitted that, I tried it out yesterday and it was running but not pumping any water so I tried pouring water constantly into the primer pipe, eventually some water came out of the outlet pipe but an awful lot more came past the piston so I am thinking do the seals need replacing with new ones and would a new piston help.
Thanks, Bernard.
steamman
steamman
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister H2 Pump failure. Empty Re: Lister H2 Pump failure.

Post by matt86 Wed May 21 2014, 18:38

only seals is gland packing i believe the piston may need to be remade , my old h2 had to be primed everytime .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony old g Thu May 22 2014, 16:03

Hi Steamman, When I rebuilt my H2 pump the piston was badly pitted, So I had choice of either making a new piston or repairing the old one. If renewing you can use either bright round steel or stainless steel both will corrode but by different ways, i.e the bright round will rust and the s/steel will get pitted (water standing on the s/steel will turn into an acid and eat into the metal), more so will the cheaper s/steel. The very best marine grade is a lot better but you pay for it.
So I repaired mine by turning down the piston both sides of the cross shaft and fitting 10 gauge brass tube over the machined area . This tube was heated first then pressed into place and allowed to cool.The gland packing on my H2 is half inch square and there is three or four rings in each part of the pump.
I never have to prime my pump because the water level in the tank is higher than the pump piston.
Hope this is of some help
regards tony
tony old g
tony old g
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by steamman Thu May 22 2014, 16:44

Thanks Tony, I have replaced the gland packing using half inch square, I put three rings in each end and made sure the join on the rings came in different places, is this the right procedure, my tank outlet is lower than the pump piston so it would be better if I raised it then.
Bernard.
steamman
steamman
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tony old g Thu May 22 2014, 17:11

Hi Again, Yes you have got the gland packing right it`s just the job. When you have sorted the piston out when you run the pump you should have just the odd drip of water coming through the gland packing this is to keep every thing moist. If too much water is leaking tighten the gland packing sleeve nuts half a turn at a time until the flow is down to the odd drip.
Best of luck tony
tony old g
tony old g
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by steamman Thu May 22 2014, 22:15

Thanks Tony.
Bernard.
steamman
steamman
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down