www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A BSA winch

4 posters

Go down

A BSA winch Empty A BSA winch

Post by Tommys son Wed May 21 2014, 20:19

Hello Forum,

This is my first post, and it's one asking for help and information.

My late father was a motorbike / mechanical expert. Always tinkering in the garage at engines, getting lawnmowers going, welding and drilling, you know the sort. In his latter years he fitted engines to push bikes and sold dozens! He owned lots of motorbikes from the 1950's including a BSA or two. Boilersuit and oily hands, thats how I remember my Dad, he passed away in November 2012.

To my late mothers horror, every now and again he'd arrive home with another rusty piece of something hideous. But to him it was a challenge to restore it and get it going!

The phot'os I attach are one such of those take home projects. I myself am not a motorbike fan, nor mechanically gifted in anyway but the only reason I'm posting these photo's is to see if anyone has ever seen one of these, are they rare, is it a true BSA engine, can a value be put to it?

It certainly is a mechanical winch and it's the fact that it says BSA that I'm posting it here. Ignore the lump of H iron in front of it, that was probably another one of his projects!

It's lying outside and I would love to sell it to someone who knows more about it or who could lovingly restore it. I don't know if its working or where my father got it. We live in N. Ireland so I guess it was local.

A BSA winch BSA1

A BSA winch BSA

I hope I have posted this on the correct forum and hope some information could be given by some of you experts!

Many thanks.
Tommys son.

Tommys son

Back to top Go down

A BSA winch Empty Re: A BSA winch

Post by Foden Wed May 21 2014, 21:00

It is an ACE winch and they were often used on construction sites to raise material up onto scaffolding etc. Certainly a proper BSA, they made a lot of industrial engines besides motorcycles and guns. Not 100% certain that it was originally on that winch as ACE tended to use Villiers engines but it does the job. Feel sure that someone in Ireland would be interested in it, BSA engines tend to sell well as they are not as common as JAP and Villiers.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommys son Wed May 21 2014, 21:08

Thanks Pete, very interesting.  Any idea of ball park value???

Tommys son

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommys son Fri May 30 2014, 19:11

Anyone have an idea of a ball park price for something like this? I've been offered £500 but don't know if it's a fair price for it. Thanks.

Tommys son

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Fri May 30 2014, 19:22

Cor yeah I should grab that, I had one of them, and I sold it for £40 after paying £20 for it!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Fri May 30 2014, 20:13

Tommys son wrote:Anyone have an idea of a ball park price for something like this? I've been offered £500 but don't know if it's a fair price for it. Thanks.

Yep, I'd bite his hand off before he changes his mind, its a mega good price  Very Happy 

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum