www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close

2 posters

Go down

WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close Empty WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close

Post by paraffinmat Wed May 28 2014, 16:35

Well I've been scratching my head for days on this one and finally realised I am not going to work this out on my own,

I have a WD2 anticlockwise rotation, I fitted what I believed to be an appropriate Wico A (the trip works in the direction I need it to) on an appropriate bracket. Timed the impulse to trip AT TDC as per the WD2 I owned twenty years ago, but no joy.

When I look at the points the impulse trips at TDC but the points don't close until about 100 degrees AFTER TDC!

I am clearly missing something vital here and it is driving me bloody crackers, as I can't see how this could be occurring as everything seems to have a clear and definite position on the mag with no 'little' variances indeed it seems I could only fit everything 180 degrees out.

As I say I just cannot see what is not correct to cause this and I am now considering going to the corner for a cry or the pub for a couple of gallons of scrumpy.

MAT ~:0$
paraffinmat
paraffinmat
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close Empty Re: WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close

Post by Darryl Ovens Thu May 29 2014, 11:35

Have you seen this site http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/MagData4.htm

On it there are pages with listings of the various parts fitted to make various types of magneto for each application.
We are trying to make 4 cylinder mags out of singles and I see there are quite a few different types of points cams and different types of impulse mechanisms so I wonder if the mag you have may have an invalid combination.
Long shot and/or maybe you have already checked this, but sounds like something like this.
In the IHC mags service book there is also quite a section on overhauling WICO mags.  
Well worth looking at if you haven't already found it

Cheers
Darryl
N.Z.

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close Empty Re: WICO A impulse tripping before mags points close

Post by Darryl Ovens Thu May 29 2014, 11:40

P.S. Spark occurs when points open,  not close in case that is significant.    Embarassed

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by paraffinmat Mon Jun 02 2014, 15:35

Thanks Darryl, it was significant as I had fitted the impulse exactly 180 degrees out. Now put on the right way round and sparking like a tart in nylon sheets. Smile
paraffinmat
paraffinmat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down