www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

JAP 4/3 magneto

2 posters

Go down

JAP 4/3 magneto Empty JAP 4/3 magneto

Post by TomCat Thu Jun 12 2014, 20:33

I'm getting my JAP 4/3 ready for a start up over the coming weekend. The mag has been cleaned and refitted in readiness and the impulse is working fine One thing however is causing me concern - I have a nice fat spark at the plug, but I also seem to have a nice (or nasty) spark at the points. I've set the points to 15 thou and all looks good so far, but shouldn't there be a condenser in here somewhere? scratch
The mag in question is a Wicpac CJ936. Any help appreciated.

Steve
JAP 4/3 magneto Mag1
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

JAP 4/3 magneto Empty Re: JAP 4/3 magneto

Post by Darryl Ovens Sat Jun 14 2014, 11:41

Hi there,

Had a look at mine but both are on air cooled engines and would have to either remove the mag or the cowl to get their covers off!  So I had a rat in the spare mags box and found another.
Please excuse it's condition (ie as found).

Assuming yours is similar ie a WIPAC CJ 1398;
JAP 4/3 magneto Mag_en13

It looks like the capacitor is in that bottom cylindrical hole, possibly under the bolt/contact thing.

with the cover off;
JAP 4/3 magneto Mag_w-10

at an angle with the cap and wire marked;
JAP 4/3 magneto Mag_wi10

Hope I have figured out how to post images, seems very complicated!

cheers
Darryl

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by TomCat Sat Jun 14 2014, 18:12

Thanks Darryl, your info and pics are much appreciated. I have now fitted a condenser from an old type Mini that I found in the garage (still in the original box), I mounted it under coil holding bolt, extended the wire a bit to reach the points and the engine is now running.
I'll have a look in the place where your pic shows the original and see if I can get the stop button to work somehow as I have no way of stopping the engine at the moment other than shorting the plug to the cyl head.

Thanks again.
Steve
TomCat
TomCat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down