www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question

3 posters

Go down

Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question Empty Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question

Post by Uncledeadly Sun Sep 07 2014, 17:01

I am working on a Honda EX1000 Generator and am at the stage of reinstalling the rotor onto the tapered shaft.
There is no keyway just a tapered shaft with a long throughbolt.
My question is:
Should I heat the rotor prior to installing so that it will be a little tighter on the crank or do you think the pressure of the throughbolt will be enough to hold the rotor from spinning on the crank?

Thanks in Advance

Uncledeadly

Back to top Go down

Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question Empty Re: Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question

Post by tony RA Wed Oct 01 2014, 00:13

All the ones I have repaired for customers in days gone by have been OK with pressure of the throughbolt
All the Best and Good Luck Tony

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question Empty Re: Small Honda Generator, Tapered shaft question

Post by Darryl Ovens Wed Oct 01 2014, 08:09

Plus if you heat it before assembly it will go on tighter, but you wont be able to heat it to get it off, so you or the next person will have a devil's own job to shift it.  They can be hard enough to shift as it is.

Just make sure both mating surfaces of the taper are really clean, (ie wash it with solvent to remove any oil), and there are no dings or burs.  If the tapers are the same angle you will find it locks solid.

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down