www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter PJ2 rough, noisy

3 posters

Go down

Petter PJ2 rough, noisy Empty Petter PJ2 rough, noisy

Post by austin shackles Mon Oct 06 2014, 18:30

Not my engine, belongs to a friend. It runs a 10KVA or so generator.

He's noticed one cylinder running hotter than the other, which I would guess is either an iffy injector or bad setting of the injector pumps.

However, the main problem is that, while running apparently fine previously, yesterday when he started it, it ran up to speed normally and then commenced to run rough and very noisy. My theory, not having heard it (he's drained the oil and got the crank case plates off to look inside), is that it could be pump timing - if it's possible for that to go out of whack on the PJ2 - so it's running too much advance.

It turns over free, smooth and quiet on the handle, with the decompressor on, and it's got good compression.

Any thoughts where to start looking? Obviously, if we can avoid a total stripdown that would be good.

austin shackles
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Petter PJ2 rough, noisy Empty Re: Petter PJ2 rough, noisy

Post by austin shackles Tue Oct 07 2014, 16:04

I'll see if I can see/hear it running and let you know. The fact 1 cylinder was running hot tends to point to a pump issue

austin shackles

Back to top Go down

Post by austin shackles Sat Oct 11 2014, 18:48

Well we part-stripped the PJ2 today. Only mechanical anomalies found were broken top ring on both pistons. Pistons and bores look in good condition, so do all the bearings and shafts, cams look tidy.

Since the noise/rough running apparently only occurred after it was up to operating speed, I suspect a fuel issue - if it'd been something mechanical then a) would expect to have found something broken or bent or otherwise out of order and b) would expect the noise all the time.

Next stage will be get the pumps and injectors reconditioned, put it back together and see what happens. Likely hone the bores and fit new rings, too Smile There's no step in the bores to speak of, nor any much marking or scoring on the pistons. All in all it looks like an engine in good condition.

Anyone got any other thoughts/things to check?

austin shackles

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Sat Oct 11 2014, 20:45

Broken top rings would strongly suggest a lip in the top of the bore, especially as both were broken.  I'd suggest if you can feel any lip at all or it shows when honing, (ie an area not touched by the hone), I would get a lip remover in there, they work really well.  
Also, what are the gudgeon pins and bushes like?  I've had two diesels where excess clearance was allowing the piston to go just that little bit higher causing it to lightly graze the cylinder head.  In the 1st case it was excessive gudgeon clearance, in the other it was excessive big end clearance.

Good luck!

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down