www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Cylinder Head Problem - Lister D

2 posters

Go down

Cylinder Head Problem - Lister D Empty Cylinder Head Problem - Lister D

Post by Ally's_Engines Sat Nov 28 2015, 15:01

When I tried to start my D type I found out it would not start, and that compression was leaking out the breathers (so I have her in bits right now). The head gasket (bought brand new) was letting water into the cylinder. There was petrol getting into the oil sump too. When I put the new head gasket on, I made sure the two surfaces were clean and the head nuts were tight. I even laid Gastite on the surfaces. The rings are free and the liner has no wear. I did find out that the big end bush had worn the white metal almost completely away. If anyone has an idea of what I can do to solve the problem, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ally

Ally's_Engines
Ally's_Engines
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Cylinder Head Problem - Lister D Empty Re: Cylinder Head Problem - Lister D

Post by fowlerfan Sat Nov 28 2015, 16:02

Hi Ally,
Sounds like the gasket wasn't bedded in properly - was it a copper or fibre gasket ? Make sure the surfaces are absolutely clean, use a scraper to take back to bare metal and polish up the surfaces with emery paper. Use brake cleaner to remove all trace of oil/dirt. I prefer the copper/fibre gaskets and usually fit these with a smear of Blue Hylomar on either side. Let it go off for a minute or so and then tighten down gradually. After a brief run, I usually give the nuts a nip up. Does the engine have its correct brass dome nuts in the hopper, and standard nuts in the rocker section ?
You will notice air coming from the breather when running as that is the nature of how crankcase breathing works. You may possibly hear compression leak past when turning over, all fairly normal to have a little let by. The extent of wear on the big end suggests your engine is well worn, often the rings will be shot but the bore could be ok. Best bet would be to try and find a good spare piston and conrod, complete with rings. Give the bore a hone and that should help bed in the rings. I would expect to pay in the region of £15 - £25 for a good conrod and piston/rings secondhand. Not worth spending much more to be honest. You can get new big end sleeves on Ebay, fairly pricey and you should be able to get the whole lot for a similar price. Try a wanted advert in the magazine or the Facebook Lister D page as someone will have a decent spare rod/piston and rings - unfortunately not something I have at present.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Regards
Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally's_Engines Sun Nov 29 2015, 11:05

Thanks Dave, I'll do what you've said and I'll keep you posted with what's going on.
Cheers,
Ally

Ally's_Engines
Ally's_Engines
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down