www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D top dead centre marks

2 posters

Go down

Lister D top dead centre marks Empty Lister D top dead centre marks

Post by The Newby Tue Jan 26 2016, 15:02

Hi all, its me again. I have had the magneto on my engine checked by an engineer and its giving a good spark. My problem now is that I need to find out exactly where top dead centre is, and where the firing point is, as these have been obliterated due to it having stood out in the weather for some time before I got it.
Give me a clue please.
John

The Newby
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister D top dead centre marks Empty Re: Lister D top dead centre marks

Post by ray fisher Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:50

When the piston is at the top of its stroke Very Happy
The easy way to tell is when the flywheel keyway is at the bottom
The firing position is best at about 12degree before this position so if you set your crankshaft with the keyway at the bottom and then mark the top of the flywheel you will have a TDC mark.
Now rotate the flywheel ( in the direction its meant to go until the TDC mark is ABOUT 12deg before the top position. Now you set the mag so the points are just opening and lock up the bottom sprocket on its shaft.
Hope this helps.

ray fisher
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down