www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher

3 posters

Go down

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher Empty Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher

Post by gdamman Fri Feb 19 2016, 15:00

I am hoping to post pictures soon of my new undertaking, going to be a long road i am sure as i am new to these engines and their function, however i have designed and am in the process of machining a can crusher that will be powered by a Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 HP engine. So far my thoughts are to put it right on the cart with the engine and include a home made tensioner for the belt. I am looking to run it with v belts over the traditional flat belts and would love some input on this from all of you experts here.
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher Empty Re: Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher

Post by steve w Mon Feb 22 2016, 17:18

have you got a pic of the F & J? is there many spares for them in the Usa?
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher Empty Re: Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher

Post by gdamman Tue Feb 23 2016, 13:05

the engine in my profile picture is the Fuller & Johnson, i tried uploading some from my phone yesterday but am having some issue so i will have to sort out how to do that.....lol. im not sure about spares or anything really as i am new to all of this and although i have not attempted to start it i was told it was in running condition, as soon as the weather breaks i will start working on it out in my shop, im not lucky enough to have a heated shop yet.....lol.
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Tue Feb 23 2016, 13:16

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher 20160214

Last edited by gdamman on Tue Feb 23 2016, 13:23; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Didn't work)
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Tue Feb 23 2016, 13:17

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher 20160213
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Tue Mar 01 2016, 09:22

thanks for the pictures - are you going to strip it right down for a re paint or leave it as is?
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Tue Mar 01 2016, 16:09

eventually i will work on stripping it down and repainting, for now i want to get it running and doing something. Last i knew it was running but had not been hooked up to anything so i want to get it doing something and go from there. maybe next winter i will strip it down for a repaint depending on time and of course heat in my shop.....lol.
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Tue Mar 22 2016, 17:46

So as i am preparing for my project i am looking at my cart design, it looks to make it work it will be 11 1/2" wide by 74 3/4" long. I am considering using redwood for the material and hiding in recesses and plugging the fasteners holding it together and for the finishing touch i plan to engrave in the sides in loving memory of the guy that started this engine collection. would love to hear your thoughts on this everyone.
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed Mar 23 2016, 10:24

Hi,
Nice looking engine.
Got to be careful of 'two nations separated by a common language' but over this side of the pond Redwood is a type of pine - the sort of thing you might use in construction. A bit soft, course grain and 'knotty'.
I would look to spend a little more and go for oak, ash or maple.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Wed Mar 23 2016, 13:54

thanks. yes i was not real sure exactly what redwood was, i have a trip planned to a lumber store to look at it before i purchase it and i definitely want a hardwood for top appearance. thanks for the input
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed Mar 23 2016, 16:47

Another relatively cheap but knot-free and fine grained mahogany like timber is meranti.
Check out this site for excellent info:
http://www.wood-database.com/

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Wed Mar 23 2016, 16:55

in my area with the lumber places i have readily available it looks like i will have to go with clear oak to get the size of lumber i am after. i will try and get some pictures posted of it soon for a better example of what im doing but need to be carfeful as its a surprise for someone and they may be on this site or have friends here.....lol.
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Thu Mar 24 2016, 10:02

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher 20160310
This is the base of the can crusher, sorry it's rotated not sure why or how to fix it
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by gdamman Thu Mar 24 2016, 10:21

Fuller & Johnson 1 1/2 hp with can crusher 20160313
This is a temporary cart side to see how the lettering turned out and to allow for alignment and such.
gdamman
gdamman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down