www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

HELP! Lister D won't start.

2 posters

Go down

HELP! Lister D won't start. Empty HELP! Lister D won't start.

Post by Sam Botham Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:50

Hi, I just restored a 1939 lister d. After some tinkering with the spark I mangaged to get it going (beautify well). After I turned it off to pack my tools away I tried to start it again and had no luck. I messed around with the carb but got no where. When Turing it over it seemed to be taking in air from a hole in the side of the carb and when I stopped, as soon as it hit compression the fly wheel bounced back and spat fuel out the same hole. Help please!

Sam Botham
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

HELP! Lister D won't start. Empty Re: HELP! Lister D won't start.

Post by ray fisher Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:55

My first thought would be spark plug - fit either a brand new one or heat up the electrodes of the one you're using with a blowtorch and then put it back in hot and make sure the mixture wheel is fully open when you try to start.
My Lister D sometimes suffers from the same problem and the blowtorch cure usually works although I don't know what causes the plug to to foul She will happily run for for over an hour but then when I stop it she won't restart until I heat the plug (the electrodes glowing red) and then she will start again and run until I switch it off confused

Last edited by ray fisher on Mon Apr 04 2016, 18:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added 2nd paragraph)

ray fisher
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Botham Mon Apr 04 2016, 18:38

The spark plug is a new champion d-16 or I sometimes swap it for a new ngk equivelent. I will try the heating the electrodes, which is the end of the spark plug around the gap. Am I right?

Sam Botham

Back to top Go down

Post by ray fisher Mon Apr 04 2016, 19:08

You are correct Very Happy
The plug I use is a champion - I tried NGK plugs and now have 3 all with less than 1 hrs runtime that now simply won't work in the Lister although they did when new. At least the the champion now has about 15hrs runtime.
I would love somebody to explain this problem in a manner I can understand because to me it just isn't logical and I have been working with internal combustion engines for 50+ years

ray fisher
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down