www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Painting tips?

3 posters

Go down

Painting tips? Empty Painting tips?

Post by Oliver Ward Mon May 16 2016, 16:42

Very soon I'll be beginning to paint my 1946 wolseley wd2. I was wondering whether anyone with some experience would give me a few tricks and tips, due to it being my first time working with enamel paint. Also how many layers should I use?

Oliver Ward
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Painting tips? Empty Re: Painting tips?

Post by Appletop Mon May 16 2016, 17:08

I do 1 coat of red oxide, 2 of under coat and 2 or 3 top coats, before starting to paint I always spray everything with thinners to "kill" any oil or grease. Make sure your brush is good with no loose bristles, work area is clean and dust free and take your time.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Ward Mon May 16 2016, 18:03

Villiers wrote:I do 1 coat of red oxide, 2 of under coat and 2 or 3 top coats, before starting to paint I always spray everything with thinners to "kill" any oil or grease. Make sure your brush is good with no loose bristles, work area is clean and dust free and take your time.

OK thank you very much I almost forgot about undercoat

Cheers Oliver

Last edited by Oliver Ward on Tue May 17 2016, 21:23; edited 1 time in total

Oliver Ward
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by earlsinclare Tue May 17 2016, 07:52

preparation is the key to a good paint finish, the more time you spend on prep the better the results. always use the best quality paints/enamel you can afford and a good quality brush.
make sure the engine is clean of oil, grease etc.  the flatter the base the better result you will get. as a rule of thumb what you see when you put the first coat of primer on is what you will see when you put on the top coat.
always paint in a warm dust free area and when you have finished close the door and don't be tempted to go and have a look, this will only stir up any dust and it WILL find its way onto your paintwork.
if you want to thin your paint don't use thinners place the tin in some warm water this will reduce the viscosity of the paint without diluting the colour.

hope this helps

Richard...

Last edited by earlsinclare on Tue May 17 2016, 22:26; edited 1 time in total
earlsinclare
earlsinclare
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Ward Tue May 17 2016, 21:22

earlsinclare wrote:preparation is the key to a good paint finish, the more time you spend on prep the better the results. always use the best quality paints/enamel you can afford and a good quality brush.
make sure the engine is clean of oil, grease etc.  the flatter the base the better result you will get. as a rule of thumb what you see when you put the first coat of primer on is what you will see when you put on the top coat.
always paint in a warm dust free area and when you have finished close the door and don't be tempted to go and have a look, this will only stir up any dust and it WILL find its way onto your paintwork.
if you want to thin your paint don't use thinners place the tin in some warm water this will reduce the viscosity of the paint without diluting the colour.

hope this whelps

Richard...

OK that's very useful to know

Cheers oliver

Oliver Ward
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down