www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Timber type and size for a Lister D ?

+2
Taxidriver
rich07961
6 posters

Go down

Timber type and size for a Lister D ? Empty Timber type and size for a Lister D ?

Post by Taxidriver Tue Jan 17 2017, 13:11

I'm waiting to hear about a possible purchase and wondered if anyone can tell me what sort of timber is preferable (or to be avoided) for making a trolley ?

I have a son who is a joiner who I'm hoping might help me out Smile (make it for me actually Cool )
But need to ask him and need some idea what I'm asking him for.

Thanks -Neil

Taxidriver
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Timber type and size for a Lister D ? Empty Re: Timber type and size for a Lister D ?

Post by rich07961 Tue Jan 17 2017, 16:50

Hi Neil, If your looking for originality they would have been made out of Oak, I do have the plans for a Lister D that I have imaged for you. Any hard wood will do, but Paul ( Woodman would offer better advise on that )

Regards

Timber type and size for a Lister D ? Wp_00011

Timber type and size for a Lister D ? Wp_00012
rich07961
rich07961
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Timber type and size for a Lister D ? Empty Re: Timber type and size for a Lister D ?

Post by Taxidriver Wed Jan 18 2017, 09:31

Rich,
Thanks for those, quite technical.
I guess I'm thinking more 'practicality' than 'originality'
I'm guessing Oak won't be cheap nor easy to find, If I'm reading your diagram correctly(?) the timbers are 4" X 2" and 32" in length.

I had in mind to ask my son about making the frame up with side rails and two cross pieces which would be nicely mortised in.

Taxidriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Jan 18 2017, 15:45

Just use standard timber from a builder's merchant, that's what most use.

Don't get it from the likes of B&Q as their timber isn't the same quality.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Thu Jan 19 2017, 13:42

rich07961 wrote:Hi Neil, If your looking for originality they would have been made out of Oak, I do have the plans for a Lister D that I have imaged for you. Any hard wood will do, but Paul ( Woodman would offer better advise on that )

Regards

Of the Listers I have seen with original timber under them very few are oak, most are some sort of knotless pine, probably pitch pine (but that stuff is just as expensive as oak).

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Thu Jan 19 2017, 17:39

Hi Rich,
I used fence posts when I made mine up , which worked well.
All the best,
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat Jan 21 2017, 10:53

If you want to go for oak then fake 'railway sleepers' from a garden centre would be cheapest option but more machining to do. Alternatively find a good timber merchant and ask for Meranti (substitute for mahogany) or sapele.
Both fine grained, knot free and easy to wotk.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down