www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lead Replacement Additive

3 posters

Go down

Lead Replacement Additive Empty Lead Replacement Additive

Post by StuartR Thu Aug 13 2020, 09:52

Hi all,
Quick question, is there a particular additive you recommend to prevent exhuast valve pitting. I have a Lister AK and intend to run primarily on paraffin, however, during the 'tweeking' stage I will just be running on a carb of petrol each time. Also, although I have plenty of paraffin, is there any reason I shouldn't run the engine on petrol only for longer periods?
Thanks,
Stuart

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lead Replacement Additive Empty Re: Lead Replacement Additive

Post by maryalice Thu Aug 13 2020, 10:55

Leade additive is not required as ours engines were built before lead was added to fuel, you can run the engine on petrol or paraffin, to run properly on paraffin the engine has to be up to temperature which is why you start it on petrol and then change over, for rallying use petrol is cheaper than paraffin so engines generally are run on petrol.
There are very few engines designed to run on paraffin from the start, most have a heat source to vapourise the paraffin first, there is one engine designed to start directly but as I type this I cant remember the maker.
Remembered the make its a Bristol Wagon and Carriage Works Co Victoria engine.
Maryalice

Last edited by maryalice on Thu Aug 13 2020, 11:03; edited 1 time in total

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartR Thu Aug 13 2020, 11:01

Thanks Maryalice,
I always thought all old engines required addutive when using unleaded fuel, you learn something new everyday.
Stuart.

StuartR
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by cranium Thu Aug 13 2020, 21:15

Martin,
The Kerosene version of the 'Victoria' starts on petrol from a small tank attached to the main fuel tank. The company were experimenting with a 'start from cold' when  Leeds Forge Co took them over in 1922 , closed them, and concentrated on railway carriages. A well-known Victiria owner has a SFC engine which I believe is experimental and uses a wick and a flame burner to heat the kero. Very dangerous in a barn with hay, straw etc!
Eric

cranium
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Thu Aug 13 2020, 22:34

Thanks Craniun,
I've always thought they ran on paraffin alone, somebody has been telling me porkies.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down