www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers stud threads

4 posters

Go down

Villiers stud threads  Empty Villiers stud threads

Post by LNM1969 Mon Aug 31 2020, 18:57

Is there a document telling what the stud diameters and thread pitches are on Villiers engines ? Possibly an impossible ask. I have no thread gauge, is my current defence M'lud.

Stripped everything off my mark 10 today, apart from the internals which appear to be pristine as does the very new looking connecting rod. A few needed assistance from a MAP torch but are still being awkward going back in. Combination of age and improperly formed threads by the feel of it. So if I want to get my mate to make some new ones, I cant until I know the thread specs.

Cheers

LNM1969
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers stud threads  Empty Re: Villiers stud threads

Post by Woodsman Tue Sep 01 2020, 09:47

Generally speaking threads are BSW or BSF - sometimes one either end. I'd invest in a set of gauges. You can get a cheap set (Silverline) for around a fiver. In the meantime, measure OD and use a good ruler to count tpi. Lookup in thread tables and you should be good to go.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LNM1969 Tue Sep 01 2020, 12:05

✅

LNM1969
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Sep 01 2020, 14:01

Woodsman wrote:Generally speaking threads are BSW or BSF - sometimes one either end. I'd invest in a set of gauges. You can get a cheap set (Silverline) for around a fiver. In the meantime, measure OD and use a good ruler to count tpi. Lookup in thread tables and you should be good to go.

Woodsman/LMN1969,

I wouldn't rely on a "good ruler" to measure TPI, anything bigger than 1/2" would be easier but it depends on your eye sight, a good copy of the ZEUS book and a set of thread gauges with an accurate measurement of the thread diameter will tell you the TPI.
ZEUS books are not expensive and most engineering shops/Ironmongers and online sites will sell them.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Tue Sep 01 2020, 15:41

maryalice wrote:
Woodsman/LMN1969,

I wouldn't rely on a "good ruler" to measure TPI, anything bigger than 1/2" would be easier but it depends on your eye sight, a good copy of the ZEUS book and a set of thread gauges with an accurate measurement of the thread diameter will tell you the TPI.
ZEUS books are not expensive and most engineering shops/Ironmongers and online sites will sell them.

Maryalice  

Agreed, thread gauge and cheap digital caliper are pretty much mandatory.

That said, we know it's either BSW or BSF so easy to identify which by eye. All that remains is the OD and then look up table for nominal size.
Woodsman
Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Sun Nov 22 2020, 22:36

Definitely need a thread gauge! While working on my 25HS I have come across BSW threads in the castings, BSF on the outer end of some studs and also ME threads (model engineer!) also on the outer end of some others! ME is finer than BSF

Alan

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Mon Nov 23 2020, 10:14

And occasional BSC !

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down