www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

lister d gibkey/pully issues

+2
maryalice
Listerbysmag
6 posters

Go down

lister d gibkey/pully issues Empty lister d gibkey/pully issues

Post by Listerbysmag Wed Oct 20 2021, 16:45

Hi all, been busy, done a few raleys in the last couple of months, (with my bike) time for some more work on the Lister

just managed to get a 6" pulley (back in stock at stationary engines parts) it is the type with 2 bolts rather than the keyway and grub screw, and it won't fit, well to clarify it fits the shaft, but when pushed onto the shaft it hit's the gibkey with a bit of a gap to the flywheel, so you can't reach the rear bolt and the front one is beyond the end of the shaft, meaning no way the bolt it up,
the boss of the pulley is offset, but not by much, 1/4"  (1" from 0ne side 1 1/4 from the other) mounted with the bigger side over the gibkey,
having looked back at some pic's of the engine and at loads of other engines seems to me my gibkey is stuck out way to far, if  it were in another 1" ish all would fit up nicely
lister d gibkey/pully issues Img_2014

lister d gibkey/pully issues Img_2015

i don't know if it's the wrong gibkey or the right size but meant for a much wider pulley, or it just needs hammering home, reluctant to try this as if it needs to come out that'll made it all the harder
any advice would be much appreciated
cheers steve
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

lister d gibkey/pully issues Empty Re: lister d gibkey/pully issues

Post by maryalice Wed Oct 20 2021, 17:20

Your Gib key maybe a replacement and as long as the flywheel is tight and doesnt rock side to side I'd leave well alone, thats unless you can find an original type.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Listerbysmag Wed Oct 20 2021, 17:43

Hi maryalice thanks for the reply
the flywheel is secure,
problem is i cant fit a pulley, not enough shaft left as the gibkey sticks out to far,
question is what to do to fix the problem
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Wed Oct 20 2021, 17:46

It looks like a possible replacement key has been fitted, unfortunately not fitted tighter to the flywheel with 1/4” or more of clearance from the head of the key to the flywheel, also some pulleys had a slot removed to accept the head of the flywheel key and allow a tight fitment, are you able to remove the key and fit it better, the one savour you have is the pulley will give extra confidence the key will remain in the flywheel is you do decide to get it fitting better.
Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Wed Oct 20 2021, 19:02

An original Lister D pulley would probably fit over that without too much of an issue as the centre is offset especially to meet this gib key issue.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274982109587?hash=item4006360193:g:dJIAAOSw0VJhULoM

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Wed Oct 20 2021, 22:30

The key could do with being further in, normally aim for about 12mm between the head and the flywheel.

This is what mine looks like.

lister d gibkey/pully issues Lister14

You will need to remove the key and file some off the bottom (flat) side, it takes a while, filing, testing, filing etc.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Listerbysmag Thu Oct 21 2021, 17:05

thanks for all your reply's,
it's kinda what i thought, it's gotta come out and be checked before i bash it in
if my key goes in as far as robostar5 it would be about perfect, still wouldn't be able to do the rear bolt in the pulley up, i suppose it's designed so you can fit it either way and have 1 bolt you can get too, i think i'll probably remove the bolt's and replace with an allen or starbolt, then i can do it up through the hole in the flat belt surface of the pulley,
you'd a thought they'd a thought of that Shocked
does anyone know if they make a normal spanner type bolt with an allen head in the top, then it would look more authentic and be practical
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Thu Oct 21 2021, 17:24

no such bolt exists, allen headed bolts started being manufactured around 1910 but it wasnt until WWII before the Americans brought them to the fore, do not bash the key in it only needs to be tapped in if its been made/adjusted correctly, if it has to be bashed in then somethings not right, also check the keyways in the flywheel and the crankshaft for damage, dings etc.

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 21 2021, 17:39

[quote="maryalice"]Your Gib key maybe a replacement and as long as the flywheel is tight and doesnt rock side to side I'd leave well alone, thats unless you can find an original type.

Maryalice[/quote]

That key is nowhere near fitted right. It needs to come out and be filed to fit and keep the 1:100 taper on the key as well.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Listerbysmag Thu Oct 21 2021, 17:45

@ maryalice and predominantly for recessed bolts where a spanner couldn't be applied Smile
as i gotta take the gibkey out i'll check everything over before adjusting, checking and replacing it,
might take a week or two as i'm nursing a couple bust ribs (bit of a spill at last rally oops) so no flywheel action for me for a bit, will post some pic's of progress when i'm able
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Oct 21 2021, 21:23

This is how the proper offset bolt pulley fits, designed to fit over the gib key.

lister d gibkey/pully issues Dpulle10

The hole allows the bolt to be run in then you tighten it with a spanner working from the side.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Listerbysmag Fri Oct 22 2021, 14:29

yes if the gibkey was all the way home my pulley wheel would fit the same, only difference is my pulley wheel doesn't have a keyway so the bolts are must larger (yours only pinches down on the key to hold it in place) the bolts on mine actually hold the pulley wheel on the shaft, consequently the bolts don't fit in the wholes in the flatbelt part of the pulley, the holes are only there so they could drill and tap the bolt holes, not particularly fond of this method but it's what i got, this is also why i said i would change the back bolt out for an allen bolt then at least i'd have both bolts done up if that makes sence
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Oct 22 2021, 14:53

Put brass or copper pads under your bolts because if you dont you could have a problem with the pulley or flywheel which may jam should you try to remove them because of the raised area created by the turning bolt.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Listerbysmag Fri Oct 22 2021, 15:05

@ maryalice, perhaps i'm not reading your comment correctly, but surely if i pack out under the bolts I'll basically be deleting the keyway and the pulley will just spin round the shaft under load even with the bolts tight
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Oct 22 2021, 17:07

The way I read your comments you were bearing down on the shaft.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Listerbysmag Fri Oct 22 2021, 17:24

i see the confusion my bad

Listerbysmag wrote: only difference is my pulley wheel doesn't have a keyway so the bolts are must larger (yours only pinches down on the key to hold it in place) the bolts on mine actually hold the pulley wheel on the shaft,
instead of shaft i should have said keyway, ie the bolts go into the keyway to tighten, thus stopping the pulley spinning on the shaft, whereas on robostar5 it's a smaller bolt just to pin the key down in the keyway
hope this clarifies things a bit

steve
Listerbysmag
Listerbysmag
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: