www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Wolseley WD 1

+4
maryalice
Garak
philipagri
john newman
8 posters

Go down

Wolseley WD 1 Empty Wolseley WD 1

Post by john newman Thu Jan 06 2022, 14:42

Hi. i would like to know if red wolesley script was ever put on a WD1 i am just about to start a restoration i dont think the paint is correct someone has had a go at it some years ago what do you think .

Wolseley WD 1 Wolesl12
Wolseley WD 1 Wolesl10
Wolseley WD 1 Wolesl11
john newman
john newman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Wolseley WD 1 Empty Re: Wolseley WD 1

Post by philipagri Thu Jan 06 2022, 18:28

Early Wolseleys have gold script as seen here on my R type but I don't know when the change took place. The first WD1's may not have had any script because they were destined for government use in WW2.
Wolseley WD 1 Wl1011
philipagri
philipagri
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Fri Jan 07 2022, 06:41

I remember reading somewhere that the red logo was applied to the sump.

Wolseley WD 1 Untit379
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by john newman Fri Jan 07 2022, 17:06

philipagri wrote:Early Wolseleys have gold script as seen here on my R type but I don't know when the change took place. The first WD1's may not have had any script because they were destined for government use in WW2.
Wolseley WD 1 Wl1011

i did not know there was any gold script but you could be right about early ones not having any at all just want to get it right theres always someone willing to pick holes on the rally field thanks for your reply.
john newman
john newman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by john newman Fri Jan 07 2022, 17:16

Garak wrote:I remember reading somewhere that the red logo was applied to the sump.

Wolseley WD 1 Untit379

thats a nice engine i hope mine will look that good i did not know about the script being on the stump i will look up more info on that i have just started striping mine thanks for the reply.
john newman
john newman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Jan 07 2022, 18:45

i did not know there was any gold script but you could be right about early ones not having any at all just want to get it right theres always someone willing to pick holes on the rally field thanks for your reply.

John,

If you get a Rivet counter, tap your ear and politely tell them you forgot to bring your hearing aid with you Very Happy

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Fri Jan 07 2022, 19:16

maryalice wrote:i did not know there was any gold script but you could be right about early ones not having any at all just want to get it right theres always someone willing to pick holes on the rally field thanks for your reply.

John,

If you get a Rivet counter, tap your ear and politely tell them you forgot to bring your hearing aid with you Very Happy

Maryalice

A proper rivet counter/anorak will immediately whip out his pen and paper to write it down for you, then you have say you've forgotten your reading glasses as well Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by john newman Fri Jan 07 2022, 19:30

i would like to stop in the workshop but my wife likes going to rally's she says i should take them out so others can enjoy seeing them run this is only the second british engine i have all the others are American open cranks over 100 years old.
john newman
john newman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgit Sat Jan 08 2022, 10:38

Robotstar5 wrote:
maryalice wrote:i did not know there was any gold script but you could be right about early ones not having any at all just want to get it right theres always someone willing to pick holes on the rally field thanks for your reply.

John,

Maryalice

A proper rivet counter/anorak will immediately whip out his pen and paper to write it down for you, then you have say you've forgotten your reading glasses as well Very Happy

But then, surely, any Rivet counter worth his salt, would write it braille on your left arm, using an automatic centre punch.

oldgit

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat Jan 08 2022, 16:49

Hi John,

You used the word 'restoration' which implies returning something to it's original state. My first task would be to get the right shade of grey paint. Hopefully, someone will have the correct number.

I like the comment from philipagri about wartime engines not being identified. I've renovated couple of WW2 Villiers which wished to remain anonymous. Personally I don't mind a bit of bling - but each to his own.
Good luck with your research.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john newman Sat Jan 08 2022, 17:11

Woodsman wrote:Hi John,

You used the word 'restoration' which implies returning something to it's original state. My first task would be to get the right shade of grey paint. Hopefully, someone will have the correct number.

I like the comment from philipagri about wartime engines not being identified. I've renovated couple of WW2 Villiers which wished to remain anonymous. Personally I don't mind a bit of bling - but each to his own.
Good luck with your research.

hi Woodsman
i have had the correct grey paint mixed in town the more i dig around i think war time engines had no script on them it will be done just like it would have been out of the factory and it will be driving a Fulwood / manus vacuum pump which i think dates from the late 40s there's photos of that else where on the forum thanks for your reply .
john newman
john newman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by john newman Sun Jan 23 2022, 15:47

AN update on my WD1 i found a few old photos from the war which showed WD1 s pumping water and what i think would be aircraft fuel in to tanker trucks non of them had any script on them i have almost striped the paint off mine and under the light paint was the Wolesley grey and under that was what i think RAF blue then red primer would you think this engine went back to wolesley for a rebuild and resale for farm use ??? it is all very good in side just took the head off to check all was ok start painting this week .
john newman
john newman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by john newman Mon Jan 31 2022, 19:24

its all coming together now .Wolseley WD 1 Wd10
Wolseley WD 1 Wd_111
Wolseley WD 1 Wd_110
john newman
john newman