www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

9hp Briggs & Stratton

5 posters

Go down

9hp Briggs & Stratton Empty 9hp Briggs & Stratton

Post by Alanengine Fri Jan 21 2022, 19:26

Having restored a couple of Briggs engines, a 2hp and a 5hp driving a 2.3kw generator I quite liked the way they were built.
Didn't need another engine but found myself interested in a larger Briggs and following emails with the seller I found it had a new home! Upon closer inspection it was complete, had compression but was later than originally thought, a 9hp 1970 example in fact - still 52 years old though and used to power a beet cleaner, although not for while!
Original intentions were to preserve it's petina but there's petina and there's corrosion, so parts have been going into the electrolysis tank.
Been quite impressed with it's general soundness although as can be seen it was in desparate need of a decoke! Bore is good but has about .005 in of wear in it although is standard size but piston is quite scored with broken top ring and lots of clearance in the grooves. Luckily I have found a nos standard piston complete with rings online.

Alan9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2126
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2127
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2125

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

9hp Briggs & Stratton Empty Re: 9hp Briggs & Stratton

Post by tony RA Tue Jan 25 2022, 23:19

Alan if you show us the model / type / and code numbers I/l have a look what B&S spares I have left in the Workshop as we shut it down in 2017 due to being ill and the blasted Blue Tits have been in and picked some of the labels of the boxes

hope i can help Tony

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Thu Jan 27 2022, 21:04

Tony, thanks for your response. Been working on the engine and now have it back together ready for a fire up!
The only (I think!) part that is in question is the oil seal that fits on the end of the points cam follower that prevents oil getting into the points. Briggs call it a seal, plunger with a part number of 68768. Not desperate but the original is showing its age!
Model, type and code in photo. Definitely interested in any parts you may have.
Bought a powder coating kit about 3 years ago but never got round to trying it out, so I have given it a trial on this Briggs and have been most impressed.
Obviously where there was corrosion it is still visible although it could be rubbed down and recoated to lose the craters. Didn't powder the main engine case - as it wouldn't fit the oven!
What I like about it is once cool, it's hard, very durable and petrol resistant.

Alan
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2130
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2131
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2132

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Jan 28 2022, 10:50

Nice job. Looks very good. Thumbs Up

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Fri Jan 28 2022, 22:47

Thanks Woodsman! Petrol in the tank today to check for leaks, all ok so opened petrol tap to check for carb incontinence, all appeared ok so lifted it off the bench for a run.
Started first pull with a fair bit of assembly oil burning off which soon cleared. Unfortunately I can only assume that the running vibration was upsetting the needle valve in the carb as it was obviously flooding with frequent drips out of the inlet pipework! When overhauling the carb the viton tipped valve 'looked' ok but will have to have another investigation.
Despite the persistent leak a container was positioned under the inlet to enable the engine to be run and warmed up for 15 minutes or so.
Partial success with a carb stripdown pending!

Alan
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2133

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by neil (LE) Sat Jan 29 2022, 09:14

Alan, it looks very good.

It wouldn't be a hobby if you didn't have tinkering to do!

Neil.

neil (LE)
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by dunitrong Sat Jan 29 2022, 10:37

I like that ! Looks well in black.

dunitrong
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Sat Jan 29 2022, 14:51

Your right Neil!
Pulled carb off this morning for a close look at the viton tipped valve under a loupe, and it looks fine with just a witness ring mark where it seats.
Did wonder if it has gone hard over the years but it seemed to feel 'rubbery' enough I thought.
After examining the valve I think I found the problem - I had made a gasket from 1/32 cork which although trapped on it's inner and outer edges it had gone baggy and I believe would now be resting on the float and holding it down obviously letting petrol in. Didn't initially overflow as it started off flat.
New thin card gasket cut and ready for reassembly which should hopefully solve the problem.

Alan9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2134
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2135
9hp Briggs & Stratton Img_2136

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down