www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D Question on cooling

5 posters

Go down

Lister D Question on cooling Empty Lister D Question on cooling

Post by chuffchuff Fri Oct 21 2022, 12:31

I'm currently resurrecting a old Lister D I've had lying around here for the past fifty years or there about. I'm interested in finding out a bit more on the water cooling of this engine as the water jacket lid has a connection for a hose there is also a pipe on the lower water jacket looks to me as it was likely connected to a water tank? Can anyone enlighten me on the reason for this.
I'll need to find or make a petrol tank and also source the governor throttle control rods and cranks as they were beyond repair.
Cheers, Jim
Lister D Question on cooling Img_2017

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Lister D Question on cooling Empty Re: Lister D Question on cooling

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 21 2022, 13:01

That's a radiator cooled top. Tank cooled tops have a threaded hole in the middle. Looks like that might have been cobbled up somehow as normally radiator cooled engines have the bottom pipe coming out above the flywheel.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Fri Oct 21 2022, 17:21

OK thanks, good to know. I'll likely put it back to water jacket cooing only. i.e. change to a open type top.
I can only guess that they may need extra cooling if worked hard for prolonged periods or maybe in very hot climates.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Oct 22 2022, 10:38

Would anyone have a picture they they could post of a Lister D that was factory fitted with a radiator.
I have another Lister D with a 'V' pulley fitted behind the flywheel, I haven't looked at this engine in any detail as yet. It will be the next one to dig out and get going.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by 68jcb Sat Oct 22 2022, 14:54

Hi, if you have a look at my post 'Lister DR find' there's pictures there. The brass plate should tell you the spec!

68jcb

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Oct 23 2022, 11:01

The D with the vee pulley behind the flywheel could have been a radiator cooled one but some used the same flywheel/pulley for pump sets. Check the spec plate, radiator cooled ones have R on them
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sun Oct 23 2022, 11:42

Hi, The Lister that had the cooling hopper top with the hose connection has type No 26DH and the Lister with the 'V' pulley behind the flywheel has type No 28DH.  So I don't know why the 26DH had the hose type top in place. I can only guess that someone has modified it to tank or radiator cooling along its long life. No 'R' on the spec plates. There was a flat belt pulley fitted to the 26DH.
I have the 26DH running now and have made a start on the 28DH.
I'll need to make a new tank for the 28DH as I robbed it for the 26DH as it's one was squashed beyond repair however I salvaged the filler and fuel line fittings from the damaged tank.
i still have one more Lister D to dig out from the depths of the workshop it appears to have a smaller diameter flywheel and I think its got the cast iron brackets for the petrol tank support. Don't yet know the type No. as I cant get too it yet. Maybe its a earlier engine than the others?
Lister D Question on cooling Sam_3511

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sun Oct 23 2022, 12:26

chuffchuff wrote:Would anyone have a picture they they could post of a Lister D that was factory fitted with a radiator.
I have another Lister D with a 'V' pulley fitted behind the flywheel, I haven't looked at this engine in any detail as yet. It will be the next one to dig out and get going.

This any use?, I have a few more from different angles if you need any details.

Lister D Question on cooling Imgp5010

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sun Oct 23 2022, 13:12

Oh boy that's a nice set up and I guess very rare one these days.
I guess that's a heavier flywheel than normal too, to smooth out the pulses of the engine. Unless I'm mistaken I see its a flat belt that's driving the fan.  What voltage is the alternator/dynamo?

Any reason why the petrol tank is mounted so low down?

In the engine house of my workshop I have a Lister CS 6/1 driving a 220v DC dynamo it has the generating type heavy flywheels to smooth out the engine pulses. Its still in use and drives a lawn mower cylinder machine and power hacksaw as well as overhead line shafting a real blast from the past. Thumbs Up

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sun Oct 23 2022, 16:55

The tank is in the correct position for a Spec.11, not sure when they moved them higher.

Voltmeter scaled to 80V so maybe 50 volt output?.

Lister D Question on cooling Imgp5011

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sun Oct 23 2022, 18:20

I just been reading a little about the history of the Lister 'D' I didn't realise that the early engines didn't use a float in the carburettor now I understand why the tank is mounted so low. Thumbs Up
I also have a shaft drive magneto lister 'D' but it has a carb with a float. the tank is mounted high but I'm now thinking that this is wrong when I renovated the engine the tank and tank brackets and the magneto were missing I had to make up a mag drive coupling.
Never mind though it runs really well but smokes like the Tory Canyon when it gets hot. I guess I'll need to check the piston oil scraper ring as I lazily didn't bother removing the piston for a look during the rebuild.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Oct 23 2022, 22:10

chuffchuff wrote:Would anyone have a picture they they could post of a Lister D that was factory fitted with a radiator.

Lister D's either had fan cooled radiators, a small tank or a heat exchanger depending on what the engine was used for.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Oct 23 2022, 22:20

chuffchuff wrote:Oh boy that's a nice set up and I guess very rare one these days.
I guess that's a heavier flywheel than normal too, to smooth out the pulses of the engine. Unless I'm mistaken I see its a flat belt that's driving the fan.  What voltage is the alternator/dynamo?

Any reason why the petrol tank is mounted so low down?

In the engine house of my workshop I have a Lister CS 6/1 driving a 220v DC dynamo it has the generating type heavy flywheels to smooth out the engine pulses. Its still in use and drives a lawn mower cylinder machine and power hacksaw as well as overhead line shafting a real blast from the past. Thumbs Up

The engines with missing the float bowl had the tank low otherwise the engine would be liable to flood from the head created by a high tank, the only problem with thr lack of float bowl was that the engine needed constant attention particularly when working hard because as the tank level dropped the head pressure dropped causing the engine to stop or stall so you had to open the fuel mixture a little to allow the petrol to flow easier, early Lister A's and B's had a similar carburettor fitted but these were soon replaced on the later engines with a float bowl which gave better fuel mixture.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down