www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system

4 posters

Go down

Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system Empty Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system

Post by fikamu Tue Nov 01 2022, 11:15

Hi folks,

I have Lister SR1 and old Start-O-Matic with it, to take care of either manual or automatic starting of my generator. My startomatic is a bit "worn out" model and I think, some of the components seem to be "on the last track". So - I am wondering if anyuone has done either renovation or total change of that system, to get more reliable and a bit modern system to start your engine. I know, that there are lot and lots of chinese systems around, but I think, it is necessary to understand, what functions one may have in the system, before buying one.

If you have good hints, please let me know. I would love to change my starting system to new one and take care the rest of engine in a way, I can run it years ahead.

Thank you in advance and take care

Kari

Back to top Go down

Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system Empty Re: Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system

Post by Keith H Wed Nov 02 2022, 08:04

Kari

As i see a start O matic is the same as an automatic mains failure unit for generators when i worked in the construction generator field

So if you look at AMF units you might find one that better suits your needs

Sorry i can't be more helpful

Regards Keith

Keith H
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system Empty Re: Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system

Post by fikamu Fri Nov 04 2022, 13:47

Thanks Keith,

Yes, I think, I have to look at those mentioned AMF's to find something modern to replave my current equipment. Also, one thing might be to go really through my start-o-matic and replace all possible components with new ones and by that means, maybe solve my problem for years. I think, I have to gather all components into a list and find them and try to fix existing. In a way, the old start-o-matic is also quite a fancy system and maybe in a way, more valuable than I have thought. Have to see and solve, what I can. Thanks any way for good advice and take care.

Regards
Kari

Back to top Go down

Post by engenfix Thu Nov 24 2022, 14:45

An AMF automatic mains failure unit is not the same as a Startomatic control panel.
AMF generally wil auto switch over between 2 alternative souces of supply.
The Startomatic control system automatically detects a load being switched on, then switches the fuel on to the engine, then cranks/motors the engine, then operates the decompressor, then engine fires and runs up to speed, then switches the mains power relay to the load, then stops the cranking motor, then switches on battery charging and runs. When last load item it switched off it automatically cuts off the fuel, the engine slows down, the power switch relay drops out, the decompressor goes back to decompress rest position, and engine stops waiting on next switch on of load.
These old panels are reliable and fixable, but you need to break down your big problem into a lot of small problems dealing with the sub circuit for each step described above. It is possible if faulty components are hard to find or expensive, there are modern alternatives for the components.
Post a few photos and wiring diagram of what you are working at and what you are finding when testing.

engenfix
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Nov 24 2022, 22:17

After @engenfix concise explanation it sounds like a job for a programmable relay or small PLC Thumbs Up

Anyone done update to change old Start-O-Matic to a bit modern technology starting system Zelio10

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by engenfix Fri Nov 25 2022, 00:17

Yes, Just what the Doctor Ordered.
My initial look at your photo, I thought it was some very old PLC from the days Comodore Pets etc.
But I see it is currently available from RS for about £150.
We will use an Analogue in to detect the load....
Q1 out will switch on Fuel
Q2 out operate start solenoid
Q3 out will Switch the AC mains transfer relay
Q4 out will switch the battery charging...

But then it would be no longer a Startomatic.........There might not be much wrong with the old panel. If the engine and generator are both in good nick the control panels are bound to be worth fixing.

In any case the PLC might be a nice wee box of ladder logic with a display, but it will still need the bigger relays to do the heavy switching

engenfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum