www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter A magneto

3 posters

Go down

Petter A magneto Empty Petter A magneto

Post by Cthompson1969 Thu Jan 18 2024, 10:19

Hello all
I've recently joined the group, I a have a few old engines, but have recently bought a Petter A that I'm having some difficulty setting up. The engine came part dismantled, the magneto and fuel tank were off. The magnet had some damage to the top cover but it came with another mag for parts.
I've repaired the original mag, the impulse works and it has a spark.
When I put it on the engine, the impulse clicks way before tdc. I understand it should click either on or just after tdc.
I am wondering if it is the correct model Wico A for the engine. Can anyone else with a Petter A have a look and let me know what model of Wico A is fitted please? I just want to confirm I've got the correct mag before I start stripping to check timing marks. Thanks

Cthompson1969

Back to top Go down

Petter A magneto Empty Re: Petter A magneto

Post by Woodsman Thu Jan 18 2024, 12:56

Hi Clayton and a warm welcome to the forum - if you could take a minute to tell us a little about yourself in New Members it would be much appreciated.

For Series I and II Magneto should be a Wico A1056BZ. For Series - III A1058BZ. Have a manual if you would like a copy

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cthompson1969 Thu Jan 18 2024, 13:10

Hi Paul, thanks for the welcome. I m not ar home now, but I'm think the mag I've got is an 806B, so definitely not the correct one. I will look out for the proper one. I would be grateful if you could send a copy of the manual. I PM you my email

Cthompson1969

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Thu Jan 18 2024, 16:42

Big apologies Clayton I mis-read your post! Embarassed
I have manual for A1 and A2.  However you should be able to order a copy of the one you want from SEP

https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/petter-a-series-2-2lta-1946-51-instruction-book-1360-0.html

Just a thought. IIMC, the A magneto is driven from the cam shaft. (Other please feel free to correct me!) Could you be 180 degrees out?

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Thu Jan 18 2024, 18:52

If this is a Petter A, with the magneto mounted on the front of the engine, then the correct magneto is A806B.
The Petter A1, A11 and A2 used a different version of the Wico magneto as Paul indicated.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cthompson1969 Thu Jan 18 2024, 19:04

Thanks for confirming I've got the correct magneto. I have found the problem I think. I took the cover off from the gears and the valve timing was out. T
he two gears had a R stamped in them, once I had altered the valve gears so that the R's lined up at tdc, the magneto drive was in the right place to click at tdc.
What was strange is that I broke the paint when I took the cover off, so it had obviously been painted after being worked on and never been able to start since!

Cthompson1969

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Jan 19 2024, 14:11

Blue Cat, Thanks for putting me straight (again! Smile )
Note to self - read carefully before responding!

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum