www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

J. A. P 2s

2 posters

Go down

J. A. P 2s  Empty J. A. P 2s

Post by Kingdom Mon Apr 01 2024, 10:39

Hello all. Have been busy for a while but hopefully i can get my JAP together now. Opened up the gasket kit i sent for and the base gasket was pure fitting so i cut one myself. I took the one for the plate behind the flywheel out and was suprized to see it is cork. I was going to put a smere of gray sealler with  an ordinary gasket to be shure . Im shure the one i took off wasent cork or i dont no what was origanal. Should i cut my own. I hate havimg to many choises. But dont want leeks. And dont no how it can seal at the bottem of the valve inspecion cover. The cork one covers all and gave me a small one for the inspection cover aswell. But theres nothing to seal agiast between. Im confused but id say yous are probly worse after this messsage.🤪

Kingdom
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

J. A. P 2s  Empty Re: J. A. P 2s

Post by Kingdom Mon Apr 01 2024, 10:46

J. A. P 2s  17119610
J. A. P 2s  17119611

Kingdom
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

J. A. P 2s  Empty JAP 2s gasket.

Post by mikep Mon Apr 01 2024, 13:20

Hi,
That gasket that was supplied with the set looks well up to the job.
I use a type of neoprene bonded cork gasket material for low pressure applications like crankcase doors and inspection covers as it's a bit more forgiving where old surfaces might have a few nicks and dings.
Use a bit of silicone sealant as a belt and braces approach.

good luck,

Mike.
mikep
mikep
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom Tue Apr 02 2024, 08:17

Thanks Mikep. Just never had anything to do with a cork gasket before. Will i put a bit of sealer with it then. Or will that ruin it.

Kingdom
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by mikep Tue Apr 02 2024, 13:54

Just to make sure, a light smear of silicon sealant on both sides will do.
Alternatively gasket cement on the crankcase side to hold it in place and grease on the cover side so it's easy to remove and replace.

Mike.

mikep
mikep
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom Tue Apr 02 2024, 16:47

Ya no something mike your rite. Im new to vintage engines but that cover was hard ennofe to get of with no sealant. Stuck on the dowls. I hate leaks but if it had of bean sealed it could have lead to disaster if had been someone heavy handed . Or any time in its life it might not have made it to this age. I think ive got it. Its our job to make shure these lovely engines live on. So hopfully in years to come if someone has to take her apart it all gos well and wont be givin out bout me. Thanks again mike.

Kingdom
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by mikep Wed Apr 03 2024, 11:58

No worries, It's amazing what we learn by just tinkering!

Mike.
mikep
mikep
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom Sat Apr 06 2024, 09:20

You dont happen to no what was the origenal spark plug or if it had a rubber cap or brass tab

Kingdom
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum