www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Rob Roy saw

3 posters

Go down

Rob Roy saw Empty Rob Roy saw

Post by austin shackles Sat Jun 12 2010, 14:02

I've recently acquired a Rob Roy saw bench. Something close to ¼ ton of circular saw powered by a Petter PH1. It's in running order, and I plan to restore it to decent condition and take it around some of the local shows.

To this end, I need more information. Searching the web for "rob roy" naturally enough produces thousands of hits, none of them for saws, and searching for "rob roy" saw doesn't do much better. I've an idea it dates from the sixties (I guess I could probably date the engine at least).

So if anyone has any info or pointers I'd be grateful. I doubt it will end up totally original, in any case - some stuff is too difficult to find, like BSF countersunk ½" bolts which hold the table to the frame - I replaced them with ½" UNF, which I machined the heads to countersunk screws...

austin shackles
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Rob Roy saw Empty Re: Rob Roy saw

Post by JONESEY Sat Jun 12 2010, 22:06

Hello, see if you can find the engine date you may also find were the engine was sent to.
Once you have a name of the dealer you may find out more about it Smile
Picture would be good may jog some bodysgrey matter
Jonesey Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by austin shackles Mon Jun 14 2010, 20:44

There's a small plate which isn't currently attached to it (it fell off) which says that it was supplied by Taylor Kent, Haslemere, Surrey. No idea if that was the original supplier but the plate was screwed on, so took more than 2 seconds to fit.

I'll take some pictures sometime.

austin shackles

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Jun 17 2010, 23:02

I have just been reading the classic plant and machinery magazine and there is a Rob Roy dumper for sale made buy Jas F Low of Monifieth, Angus.
I hope this may help you find out more about your saw bench outfit.
Jonesey Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by austin shackles Fri Jun 18 2010, 13:40

JONESEY wrote:I have just been reading the classic plant and machinery magazine and there is a Rob Roy dumper for sale made buy Jas F Low of Monifieth, Angus.
Jonesey Smile

Yeah, JF Low was the parent company who had a big foundry in Monifieth. The Rob Roy contractors plant company was a subsidiary. Unfortunately, they;re all defunct, as is the company that supplied it, Taylor Kent in Haslemere.

No doubt there are people around who used to work in both places, and no doubt there are records somewhere. I need to get the data from the engine plate, as well, that might shed some light, should be possible to date the engine at least.

austin shackles

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Fri Jun 18 2010, 22:00

Good luck with it keep us al posted
Jonesey Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rob Roy saw Empty Information on rob roy saw may be found: archives@dundee.ac.uk

Post by 416792jim Mon Jul 04 2011, 19:20

austin shackles wrote:
JONESEY wrote:I have just been reading the classic plant and machinery magazine and there is a Rob Roy dumper for sale made buy Jas F Low of Monifieth, Angus.
Jonesey Smile

Yeah, JF Low was the parent company who had a big foundry in Monifieth. The Rob Roy contractors plant company was a subsidiary. Unfortunately, they;re all defunct, as is the company that supplied it, Taylor Kent in Haslemere.

No doubt there are people around who used to work in both places, and no doubt there are records somewhere. I need to get the data from the engine plate, as well, that might shed some light, should be possible to date the engine at least.

416792jim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum