www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

been a busy bee ... yet again

3 posters

Go down

been a busy bee ... yet again  Empty been a busy bee ... yet again

Post by matt86 Sat Sep 24 2011, 22:58

As you lot know have been restoring a bamford and the tank was far gone in end , so brother knocked up a tank in his spare time and rolled on the rollers at his work and tig welded together in stainless . We discovered after that you can not solder to stainless to had to put a section in of mild steel so i could solder the fitting into .

been a busy bee ... yet again  DSC00398

been a busy bee ... yet again  DSC00400

been a busy bee ... yet again  DSC00401#

Was quite impressed with my soldering ... 1st time i have soldered anything properly except from soldering to fill a hole or two ... What you guys think...?

can you even see the weld joint on the end plate of the tank ... ? i know you can see it very well .

just a shame to paint it now lol the tank wont rust as in stainless except from the plate on the top half tempted not to paint it .... Whats peoples opinions ?

regards , matt

Oh if anyone wants any tanks making up , Chris is more than happy to but you would have to supply the original brass fittings to be soldered in , and would be made out of mild steel next time .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

been a busy bee ... yet again  Empty Re: been a busy bee ... yet again

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Sep 25 2011, 01:40

looks good matt
nice one
may need a tank or to doing
but not at anywere near franks tanks prices he scared me with a price i spock to him about
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Sep 25 2011, 09:39

depending on the tank and time it would take would be around £30 i would think , but would have to ask chris .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25 2011, 10:23

Cracking job Matt, shame about having to use the mild steel section on the top. How did you do the bottom for the tap, the same way? IMyself I'd put a thin covering of body filler on the top weld and then paint it, but that's just me.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Sep 25 2011, 11:18

[quote="stationary stu"]Cracking job Matt, shame about having to use the mild steel section on the top. How did you do the bottom for the tap, the same way? IMyself I'd put a thin covering of body filler on the top weld and then paint it, but that's just me.

Stu.[/quote

The fitting for the tap is actually a hydraulic fitting with a 1/4bsp thread on going straight through , but its been cut down so dont stand too proud of the tank of too much inside the tank ....

I know its a shame about the steel plate on top but we didnt know that you can solder stainless .... ooops . Embarassed but when i make another tank in future will just use mild steel and fittings can be soldered in ....

Oh rember when was talking about soldering etc .... well there is my main 1st major effort with the filler neck .... looks ok anyway stu and nice and shinny so should be ok . that was just ordinary plumbers flux paste and solder free flux and a propane lamp .... did the trick though Very Happy
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Mon Sep 26 2011, 06:27

HI MATT.
that tank is a cracker mate..wish i could weld like that....
hows the genny???any joy with it....
someone on here must be able to help..
regards,mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26 2011, 11:14

Great to hear you managed the soldering now you can tackle anything and do a good job. Only thing is you might need a smaller flame to tackle some of the the electrical componants so maybe still look out for one of them cheap touches that have a finer flame.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum