www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Engine formerly at Pen-y-Bryn Slate Quarry, Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales - Enquiry by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine formerly at Pen-y-Bryn Slate Quarry, Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales - Enquiry by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales

Post by SGS on Wed Feb 15 2012, 14:43

Dear Forum Members,

I am posting on here in the hope you will be able to assist with an enquiry. My name is Spencer Smith and I am an Investigator with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, based in Aberystwyth.

I am currently working on the Atlanterra Project, and as part of the project the RCAHMW are commissioning the recreation of three Slate Mines / Quarries in North Wales through computer animation. One of these the slate quarries is at Pen-y-Bryn, Nantlle, Gwynedd. I am currently looking for information on the stationary engine which was used to originally power a chain incline, and later a row of Saw Tables.

I am currently unable to attach any images of the engine, or attach any external links, but the engine was removed from Pen-y-Bryn in the 1970s and is currently kept at the National Slate Museum, Llanberis.

If anyone has seen this engine, or thinks they may be able to assist in suggesting a maker for this engine, its original location, displacement / horsepower and any other relevant information, please contact me through here or at spencer.smith at rcahmw.gov.uk

Last edited by SGS on Wed Feb 15 2012, 14:50; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Image Attachment)

SGS

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine formerly at Pen-y-Bryn Slate Quarry, Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales - Enquiry by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales

Post by hob on Wed Feb 15 2012, 16:37

I emailed Spencer to offer to post his images for him

these are the images he sent me

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't really know anything about steam engines.......... maybe someone else does?

neville

hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine formerly at Pen-y-Bryn Slate Quarry, Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales - Enquiry by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales

Post by stationary stu on Wed Feb 15 2012, 18:01

In his new members post I've told him to contact Internal Fire Museum of Power if anyone can help I think it will be them.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]                [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top