www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

non starting wisconsin ae

3 posters

Go down

non starting wisconsin ae Empty non starting wisconsin ae

Post by enfield Sun Aug 19 2012, 12:26

hi. i have got my engine to starting point. there is a good spark at the plug and carb jets are clear. i have been turning it over and over for a week and it has only run twice and each time it has run supberbly. no noise good control on the regulator. once stopped back to no starting. i have checked timing and carburation are all to the book and there is plenty of compression. any ideas before my shoulder gives up.

enfield

Back to top Go down

non starting wisconsin ae Empty Re: non starting wisconsin ae

Post by Ianhw77k Sun Aug 19 2012, 19:41

How good is the spark? Is it bright blue and can you hear it click?
Sometimes what looks like a healthy enough spark will fail when under compression. Also, what spark plug are you using? Modern ones which have no glazing on the lower parts of the insulator can give this sort of trouble.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Mon Aug 20 2012, 11:11

You say that there is plenty of compression but have you actually measured it at the plug? Any blow past the rings will cause poor starting. Sometimes, the fuel can seal the rings and then it runs good. You could try pouring some neat fuel (or oil) into the cylinder, replace the plug, and see if it starts any better. Failing that, as Ian says, you need to check the spark and/or the plug.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 11:52

You have to remeber it's an old engine with plenty of wear on things like timing gears, so setting it to the book is for a new engine in good condition so you may have to mess about a bit with the timing to get it correct and take out the eliment of wear to get it to run better. Hope these hints are helpful if not come back and we'll have another head scratch and see what else we can think of.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum