www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

hammer finish paint

4 posters

Go down

hammer finish paint Empty hammer finish paint

Post by woody Fri May 31 2013, 15:46

I need some hammer-finish paint in mid-blue - roughly the colour of the banner at the top of this page - for my Petter cowlings etc.

The trouble is Hammerite doesn't seem do this shade anymore, and anyway I would like spray cans if poss. which narrows the choice even more.

I've looked at Ebay but can't find what I'm after.

Can anyone suggest a supplier who can colour match hammer-finish paint ?

thx

A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

hammer finish paint Empty paint

Post by Raymond_Hopwood Mon Jun 10 2013, 23:22

hi have you tried halfords they do there own range of paint they are not esspecialy cheap but its good quality and they also do a petrol proof clear lacquer to protect the paint hope it helps ray

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

hammer finish paint Empty Re: hammer finish paint

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 12:14

I know that some car accessory stores colour match and fill aerosol cans but I don't know if they do a hammered finish. Maybe an hour with the yellow pages and phone everyone local and ask if they can do it. Also check out paint stockists / car body repair suppliers see if they can help or point you in the right directiom.
Can I ask why you need it hammered finish?

Stu

Back to top Go down

Post by woody Tue Jun 11 2013, 18:25

Hammer finish would match the existing paint, Stu,

but otherwise I wonder if a metallic blue would do.

Guess I'll just have to buy some and try it.

Back to top Go down

hammer finish paint Empty paint

Post by Raymond_Hopwood Wed Jun 12 2013, 19:31

if you get five mins you can pop on the halfords web site and check there stock buy if you look at the pics on my new toy jap 2a that's my engine and the metallic green is not a million miles away from the original hammer finished green that was on them hope this advice helps i also noticed that using the metallic colour gives it a cheeky differnt but not to different look ray

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jun 12 2013, 22:45

Hammerite isn't paint, it's rubbish.

I don't know about spray cans, but as far as brush applied goes I would recommend this (sorry, I wrote this post without properly reading the OP Embarassed )....

A really good paint, available in all finishes (including hammered finish), is Rustoleum. They will do any colour from the main charts (RAL or BS colours, so that's about every colour) & it's what they call a self-undercoating paint (like what Hammerite claims to be, but this one actually works), but I find it's best used with a primer for greater durability.

You can order it from most paint suppliers, it's very good stuff, but a bit pricey & the smallest tin is 750ml (& will set you back around £17-£20). But I can recommend it, it is very good stuff with a lovely finish & it really does cover in just one coat (although I gave it 2 coats, as one really only just covers) & really can be painted straight onto bare metal, even onto rust, as long as it's not loose or flaking (but, again, I used a primer for most of my work with it).

I only stopped using it as I didn't need an expensive, self-undercoating paint. But if I needed a hammered finish I would probably go straight for the Rustoleum.

Personally I don't rate Halfrauds.

You might find Rustoleum does spray paint, I really don't know. I know they do aerosol products, might be worth looking into.

Last edited by nutgone on Sat Jun 15 2013, 18:17; edited 1 time in total

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers Sat Jun 15 2013, 16:47

Why not use ordinary paint, and solong as you hammer it rite, should be ok.:stick lol::stick lol::cheers:david.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum