www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Another New Model......Lister F

4 posters

Go down

Another New Model......Lister F Empty Another New Model......Lister F

Post by Matth92 Sun Jun 09 2013, 21:59

Managed to get my mitts on this nice little motor earlier at West Bay Rally

apologies, pictures are not fantastic!

Another New Model......Lister F PICT0252_zpsc231fd12

Another New Model......Lister F PICT0250_zps0940e976

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Another New Model......Lister F Empty Re: Another New Model......Lister F

Post by nutgone Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:01

Nice little engine. Any plans for her? Going to do anything to it or just rally as is?

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:08

knowing matt , he will rally it as it is ... or even strip most of the paint off it and rally it ...

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:12

Looks good, not much Lister F's in Scotland! Looks good Very Happy Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:57

matt86 wrote:knowing matt , he will rally it as it is ... or even strip most of the paint off it and rally it ...

matt

Nah this ones OK paintwise, not original but looks nice and aged anyway, except the tank, she runs nice enough so doesn't really need any work done, definitely needs a better trolly though

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Jun 10 2013, 20:45

That stupid trolley tipped over when I was moving it across the lawn earlier, so its gotta go, she did run nicely for an hour or so earlier

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jun 10 2013, 20:48

Matth92 wrote:That stupid trolley tipped over when I was moving it across the lawn earlier, so its gotta go, she did run nicely for an hour or so earlier

wheel barrow trolleys are a right pain matt , when you strap them down the always manage to move about as slide on the feet . unless you wedge them in well .

and yes can be unstable , plus when you loading one person needs to be lifting the feet end up in the air , thats why i dont like them ! But thats only my opinion .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Mon Jun 10 2013, 21:27

matt86 wrote:
Matth92 wrote:That stupid trolley tipped over when I was moving it across the lawn earlier, so its gotta go, she did run nicely for an hour or so earlier

wheel barrow trolleys are a right pain matt , when you strap them down the always manage to move about as slide on the feet . unless you wedge them in well .

and yes can be unstable , plus when you loading one person needs to be lifting the feet end up in the air , thats why i dont like them ! But thats only my opinion .

matt

Cant say I like them either. I think the handles are just to big and bulky. I know a man with a 2 wheeled trolley but he dosn't use handles he uses a rod that goes into the starting handle thing.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Jun 10 2013, 21:29

when I find some wheels she will go on a proper 4 wheel job, as god intended Very Happy

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 10 2013, 22:24

You can't beat a barrow trolley for manoeuvring an engine around, they are by far the easiest trolley to handle, you can steer them within their own axis, which you can't do with any 4 wheel trolley, also they're a lot cheaper to make. But for loading up with them you need 2 people.

Best for loading up ramps is a straight 4 wheeler with no steering, I find steerable trolleys a pain in the arse up ramps, I know one old guy who won't have steerable trolleys at all for that reason, he's in his 80s & says he finds a straight one easier to handle on his own when loading. The next one I make with 4 wheels will have lockable steering (probably just a couple of holes, drilled straight through, with pins that drop in to stop it moving). I might even change the Kohler trolley to lock the steering, as that is easily the main problem when loading it up. I never load or un-load on my own anyway, but I guess I may have to one day (probably best get a winch first eh? Wink )

I did think about a barrow trolley with lockable casters where the feet should go, so you lock them in position & it's then either a barrow trolley or a non-steerable 4 wheeled trolley. Would be the best of all 3 types as it could steer, or could be locked straight forward for loading up ramps or picked up as a barrow for tight manoeuvring around the workshop (parallel parking). Trouble with that is casters look bloody awful.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Jun 10 2013, 22:53

4 wheeled, non steerable all the way, Im lumpy enough to turn em in the right direction meself

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 10 2013, 23:05

Non-steerable eh? Now you do surprise me. I had you down as a steerable trolley kind-a-guy.

Not that it matters, I think I'm a barrow trolley kind-a-guy myself. I keep one as a temporary trolley for projects & for moving any engines I have on skids. But I started my working life on a building site, so got used to wheel barrows. Also I'm a skin-flint & don't like spending out on the extra wheels Laughing .

I guess my mate in his 80s must be onto something then, with these 4 wheel non-steerable trolleys. He's an old agricultural engineer with a lovely workshop, so could build himself any type of trolley he likes (he's converted most of his engines to electric start, due to his age), but he always goes for a non-steerable trolley.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Jun 10 2013, 23:16

My Bernard WO is on a barrow type job I made, and though its only small its still a PITA!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 12:25

Strange after years of thinking everyone liked the barrow style trolley looks as if i'm wrong and only a few like them. I've nothing on a barrow style trolley yet but i'm thinking about making some soon but they'll be sold soon after so not my worry. Laughing Laughing Laughing

BACK ON TOPIC Laughing Laughing Laughing Nice looking engine Matt I didn't think it was your choice of engine, I thought you were into more rarer types of engine these days.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Jun 11 2013, 16:57

Shes's rare enough for me, nah its just the sort of engine I like really, nice and basic looking

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jun 11 2013, 18:30

nutgone wrote:Non-steerable eh? Now you do surprise me. I had you down as a steerable trolley kind-a-guy. .

Matt having a steerable trolley :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

i think everyone i have seem of his are basic as you like ....

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jun 11 2013, 19:39

Yeah, you don't see many about. I haven't seen one round here for years.

I would buy one if it came about.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Jun 11 2013, 20:55

matt86 wrote:
nutgone wrote:Non-steerable eh? Now you do surprise me. I had you down as a steerable trolley kind-a-guy. .

Matt having a steerable trolley :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

i think everyone i have seem of his are basic as you like ....

matt

If I wanted to p*ss around with the axles moving going up the ramps etc I would make a steerable one, 2 crosspieces, 2 axles and 2 main bearers and an old spanner on the side is good enough for me

next question!!!???

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Jun 11 2013, 20:57

nutgone wrote:Yeah, you don't see many about. I haven't seen one round here for years.

There are 2 that I see about down here but I think I have only ever seen 4 in the flesh

I have got mine going really nicely now, but still a bit smoky, the petrol stinks though, donkeys years old, probably the problem!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jun 11 2013, 21:08

I've got a real soft spot for rad cooled engines.

It's got to be the best method of cooling
(obviously apart from air cooling Wink ).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Tue Jun 11 2013, 21:16

nutgone wrote:I've got a real soft spot for rad cooled engines.

It's got to be the best method of cooling
(obviously apart from air cooling Wink ).

I prefer water cooled engines.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:28

Matth92 wrote:
nutgone wrote:Yeah, you don't see many about. I haven't seen one round here for years.

There are 2 that I see about down here but I think I have only ever seen 4 in the flesh

I have got mine going really nicely now, but still a bit smoky, the petrol stinks though, donkeys years old, probably the problem!

Well said that man ... but i do agree for a rustic trolley just 2 main bearers and 2 cross peices would do ... well thats if the engine isnt to heavy ...

Nothing wrong with simple trolleys at all . Cool

Personally i do like the steerable trolleys but its ease of movment around the back of my house with limited room . And bigger engines like IHC M would be a bit*h to move without being able to steer it . but i do have 2 engines which are not on steerable trolleys .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Jun 13 2013, 21:19

matt86 wrote:
Matth92 wrote:

Well said that man ... but i do agree for a rustic  trolley  just 2 main bearers and 2 cross peices would do ... well thats if the engine isnt to heavy ...

Nothing wrong with simple trolleys at all . Cool

Personally i do like the steerable trolleys but its ease of movment around the back of my house with limited room . And bigger engines like IHC M would be a bit*h to move without being able to steer it . but i do have 2 engines which are not on steerable trolleys .

matt
And you've seen all the corners down my place!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 13 2013, 22:26

Yes the ones down the side of the house and around the back could be a bit challenging for the best steersman Laughing

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Fri Jun 14 2013, 13:25

Ive had trouble steering meself round em after a skinfull

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member