www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Genny and train set.

3 posters

Go down

Genny and train set. Empty Genny and train set.

Post by Locknut Sat Dec 08 2018, 08:52

Hi Guys,
This is not really a project but more of a proposed project.
I sit behind the ropes with my engines at rallies and see youngsters (and adults) walking by looking disinterested and got to wondering how could I create something a bit different to grab their interest - I have used toy military vehicles and that has had the children at least stop - and thought about using a small electric train set powered from a 12v car battery which was charged on site by a battery charger eg a Tiny Tim.
Some of the main problems that I see are - need a strong firm base to mount it on,need some sort of speed controler (not sure if the one that comes with these sets will work straight off a 12v car battery), and the English weather( being electric it wont like the damp/wet)!!

I am sure this must have been done/tried before by someone.Any thoughts on this, or am I on the wrong lines (sorry!)?
All the best,
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Genny and train set. Empty Re: Genny and train set.

Post by Woodsman Sat Dec 08 2018, 14:00

Hi Kev,

Have a search on fleabay for Triang controllers. Some are transformer + rheostat in one unit but you can find some that were used with three 4 1/2 volt batteries, which will be fine with 12v car battery, for not a lot of money.
If you want to look really 'retro' search for Vintage Rheostats

As for base some 1/2" ply would be fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-OO-HO-Gauge-P40-BATTERY-CONNECTING-UNIT/292852412038?hash=item442f5d2e86:g:RYYAAOSwfgRcCV1l

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Vintage-Rheostats-slide-resistances/332909634257?hash=item4d82f5e2d1:g:IEIAAOSwLxpblTlD

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Dec 08 2018, 16:24

Hi Paul,
Thanks for that - both the 'controller' options look good - I will now have to think exactly what type of effect I want to create.In the mean time at least no-one has poured cold water on my proposed project!
All the best,
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sat Dec 08 2018, 18:27

Have a look for Hammant & Morgan CU1 controllers, I seem to remember they are 12VDC input, a lot of the modern (non DCC) controllers are 16-18VAC input.

As for the layout, an 009 gauge setup can be built on quite a small baseboard or if you want to go to extremes, a friend of mine built a Z gauge "layout" on a wooden folding rule! Very Happy

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sun Dec 09 2018, 19:25

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for that, the H & M controllers are indeed 12vdc - according to google.
I have never come across 009 gauge,I was thinking of 00 gauge as being a decent size for showing , but I will look into that. Z gauge is just too small for including in an exhibit at a rally I think!
All the best,
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sun Dec 09 2018, 22:44

If you go for 00 gauge realistically you need a minimum baseboard of 4' x 3' and would be limited on what stock you could run due to the tight track radius, with 009 which is based on narrow gauge and would allow much tighter track radius so you could get a simple round layout on 18" square board.

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Thu Dec 13 2018, 08:34

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for that explanation.4' x 3' would be just too big where as an 18" square or better still a 24" square would,I think, fit better on the rally field.I have noticed that 009 track and rolling stock is certainly more expensive than 00 units which is a downside to using that gauge.
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Dec 13 2018, 15:52

Hi Kev,
I don't know what your budget is but after a bit of googling you could have the bits to make a basic loco for about £20 providing you've played with plastic kits as a nipper Very Happy

3D printed loco body https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/009-Inspection-car-/323517004520?

Suitable chassis https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kato-11-103-4-Wheel-Chassis/dp/B0003KCPIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544715946&sr=8-1&keywords=kato+103+chassis

A lot of 009 stock is based on N gauge chassis' as they both use 9mm gauge track, just built to different scales (N is 2mm = foot & 009 is 4mm = foot) so you can populate the layout with (cheaper/most common) 00 gauge people, vehicles, buildings etc.

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sat Dec 15 2018, 10:55

Hi Stuart,
Train sets are a new venture for me so I am probably being a bit denser than usual ! But if I understand you correctly I can run 009 stock on N gauge track if I need to?
I am developing the idea of using a military train set up( engine plus a couple of flat backed wagons containg eg jeeps/tanks/soldiers) to go with my WW2 generators.It would certainly be different!
All the best,
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sat Dec 15 2018, 18:47

Hi Kev,

Yes N gauge and 009 both use the same gauge track at 9mm, they just have different sleeper size/spacing, but you will struggle to bend N gauge track too tight due to sleeper spacing.

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sun Dec 16 2018, 08:25

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for that explanation.There are a couple of toy and train fairs near here in the new year which I will go to and see what they have on offer - at least now I will have some idea of what I am looking for - which I find always helps! Although a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!!
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sun Dec 16 2018, 20:19

Might be worth looking for a book such as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-PM-400-OO-9-HOe-Setrack-Planbook/323599994180? or google 009 track plans to get a few ideas.

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum