www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel?

5 posters

Go down

Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel? Empty Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel?

Post by ghost123uk Thu Dec 10 2020, 12:28

As per "subject" really.

I am hoping to run a car alternator off my PAZ1 via a 6 rib wide "Poly V" belt (as per the pulley on the alternator) via the main engine flywheel.

The alternator is closely and firmly attached to the engine stand, and will be adjustable for tensioning purposes.

The belt will be covering more than 3/4 of the circumference of the flywheel.

I won't be running high loads off the alternator.

Do you, dear reader, think it is OK to run the Poly V belt over a smooth flywheel?

ghost123uk
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel? Empty Re: Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel?

Post by Alanengine Thu Dec 10 2020, 13:36

I think it will drive it fine. Possibly belt life would be compromised long term but not a major problem I would have thought.
Must be others that have done this.

Alan

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel? Empty Re: Is it OK to run a "poly V" belt over a smooth flywheel?

Post by georgineer Thu Dec 10 2020, 14:24

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be OK. "Vee-flat" drive, with a v-belt running on one V-pulley and one flat pulley is a respectable set-up; I've even read about it in books. The vee-flat arrangement on my lathe has worked flawlessly for nearly fifty years, on the original belt. Since the poly-V belt is the same thing writ large, I would give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?

George B.

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost123uk Thu Dec 10 2020, 17:22

All sounds good so far then folk Cool

Thanks for the input Very Happy

ghost123uk
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Thu Dec 10 2020, 20:55

No issues there, I have done it in the past with no problems, my dynamo was not heavily loaded and worked fine, and my pumps, pumped water,

Go for it.

Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by tony RA Fri Dec 11 2020, 19:51

I/ve had a poly V belt on my lathe running on 2 flat pulleys for many years and works well and now fitted one to cylinder grinder but this has/nt been on so long yet but time will tell

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down