www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help

3 posters

Go down

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help Empty Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help

Post by Anglo Traction Thu Jun 10 2021, 15:11

Hi, I've begun the task of going over this engine which is fitted to a 1930s lawnmower mentioned in Clivemuseum's introduction topic.
There are a series of issues to deal with, which hopefully are not insurmountable.
There are 2 items missing  in the carburettor (were 3, but found a float chamber lid ok).
According to the parts manual, there should be a filter screen (4045) and a spring (4044) within the filter chamber nut (3749) below the float bowl.
Screen shot of the manual showing the relevant parts-

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help N2_car10

So are there any members who may have this engine type or similar and are able to post an image of these items?.

I would prefer to copy them closely to the original, but if necessary, I will produce them to my idea of what they should look like.
Image of the filter seat and filter chamber nut (1 inch A/F x 1 1/8" deep) -

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help 0f294810

Rest of the fuel metering parts look ok, but need to repair the float/spring lock and reface the needle taper and seat-

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help 95d94610

Lastly, with the N2 being fitted with a governor, the manual quotes as being fitted with a dipstick, but this version only has a pivoted lid covering the aperture?.

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help 88aaac10

Can anyone confirm where the oil level should come to? (currently up the lower point of the filler hole), and is 20 grade oil the modern equivalent to be used in the governor section?.

Thanks in anticipation.
Regards.

I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help Empty Re: Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help

Post by Anglo Traction Sat Jun 19 2021, 22:33

Made the carb bits in the end. Some lathe work, silver soldering the parts to 17/32" dia hard brass tubing. Milled some 1/4" wide slots in the body. Fine brass mesh shaped and soft soldered. Found a suitable spring in my stock to fit. Image taken below appears to show the 'Stovepipe Hat' shaped filter distorted, but is not-

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help D6b1be10

Carb is now all clean finshed-

Stuart Turner N2 Carb Help Ebb69010

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Mon Jun 21 2021, 15:44

Nice work, not sure what the spring is tbf, the gauze is usually missing/melted away.
I doubt you will find many others with a similar engine; the N2 is a bit scarce.

Oil, SAE30 IIRC modern mineral oil will be fine, filled up as you have done. As with the P4 there is only a small bit of oil in the governor casing which is flung around by a disc.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgit Tue Jun 22 2021, 22:22

Nice work.

oldgit
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down