www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers D270 oil leak

3 posters

Go down

Villiers D270 oil leak Empty Villiers D270 oil leak

Post by Bodgerac Fri Jul 30 2021, 14:13

Hi Folks. For some years now, I have owned a 1965 year old Villiers D270 single cylinder diesel engine fitted to a BKB alternator. It is permanently connected to the house in case of power cuts. An oil leak has developed from the oil seal at the flywheel end. There is a long 5/16" bolt running through the hollow shaft to secure the rotor, presumably on a taper? At the roller bearing end, there is a 1/2" BSW tapping. I presume this is to assist removal of the rotor from the flywheel by inserting a threaded rod to push against the crankshaft? This is a rather strange one to me. Can you give advice, please?
Gus. 

Villiers D270 oil leak Villie21
Villiers D270 oil leak Villie22
Villiers D270 oil leak Villie23

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers D270 oil leak Empty Re: Villiers D270 oil leak

Post by dunitrong Fri Jul 30 2021, 19:41

I have a BSA 220 geny set and to remove the rotor ther is a long boult runing through the hollow shaft pulling onto the engine. To remove the rotor i inserted a shaft between the long screw and the engine crank. This has to be larger then the thread.It took a lot of force to prise them appart!! Not saying yours is like that but may just help.

dunitrong
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodgerac Sat Jul 31 2021, 10:07

Many thanks, dunitrong. You have confirmed what I suspected. I have cleared the 1/2" BSW thread, and have ordered a bolt to push against a bar up the shaft, but it will not arrive before Wednesday, so will let you know then how I get on. Gus.

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers D270 oil leak Empty Villiers D270 oil leak

Post by Bodgerac Wed Aug 04 2021, 19:35

My Whitworth bolt arrived yesterday to help with withdrawing the rotor. I have since remembered that a lot of machinery, and the Villiers in the 1960s had UNF and UNC threads. Not to worry, as the Whitworth bolt has the same diameter and TPI, but slightly different pitch shape. With a turned down spindle inserted, the rotor pulled off the taper, but still the shaft and disc remained firm. A home-made puller and some heat shifted this, revealing a short straight shaft well held by a little rust. Modifying the puller, the flywheel eventually gave up, revealing the oilseal. Removed using two self-tapping screws.Villiers D270 oil leak Pict0010
Villiers D270 oil leak Pict0011
Villiers D270 oil leak Pict0012

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Aug 05 2021, 09:24

Nicely done Thumbs Up are you going to replace it with one of the modern double lip seals?

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Villiers D270 oil leak Empty VICKERS D270 OIL LEAK

Post by Bodgerac Thu Aug 05 2021, 10:34

Hi Stuart. No, I have ordered an ordinary one from Simply Bearings.   
Just inserted another pic that got lost in the last post. It shows the back of the disc, with the short straight locating peg that was slightly rusted in, and the cause of all the fuss.
Villiers D270 oil leak Pict0013

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodgerac Wed Aug 11 2021, 09:14

Actually, when the new seal arrived, it was a double lip. Problem now is that the generator will not excite. Checked all connections OK. Oil contamination on brushes, slip rings and comm. Cleaned them with meths. On one run, test light went bright, but since then, just a glimmer. Still evidence of black type deposits. Need advice, please.

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down