www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

ECC generator

4 posters

Go down

ECC generator Empty ECC generator

Post by Bodgerac Wed Oct 20 2021, 21:06

Many years ago, I found this right on top of the scrap metal skip at the Council Tip. It was just waiting for me, a gift! I think I gave the man £5, or maybe less. According to the brass label attached, it was made by the Enfield Cycle Company in 1943, with a WD serial number. It is a 4-stroke petrol, 50cc, driving an alternator with a huge plate rectifier to give an output of 20 volts DC. I believe it was made to be dropped in its own cage and probably a canvas cover by parachute behind the lines for charging radio batteries. The pulley was missing; The original was about 1" wide. The wiring was wrongly connected. The key-way on the shaft was worn, and I had to machine it and make a stepped key. The other major jobs were to cut a new exhaust valve seat, and the cam followers were missing. I made new ones from a high tensile bolt turned on the lathe. The original armoured HT cable sleeve and spark plug were discarded because they were shorting out. Spark is supplied by magneto. It usually starts on the fourth pull.ECC generator Pict0015
ECC generator Pict0016

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

ECC generator Empty Re: ECC generator

Post by chrismac Wed Oct 20 2021, 21:23

Cracking little thing, lots of work to get it up and running again too, very rewarding taking something out a skip and getting it going.

Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodgerac Wed Oct 20 2021, 21:26

Thanks, Chris. A view of the alternator end. The bracket on the left is holding an ex-army number plate light, added for effect.ECC generator Pict0017

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Wed Oct 20 2021, 22:39

Its a shame it doesnt have its original frame that it sat in with a canvas cover, several companies made them during the war, it was designed by Edgar T Westbury, there is a youtube video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_g6RiB0RVQ

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Wed Oct 20 2021, 23:01

Nice unit and what a rectifier!

Alan

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodgerac Thu Oct 21 2021, 11:58

Actually, one has just turned up on e-bay-uk, issue number 165135415546. It is very sad, unfortunately. I have taken a screen-shot, and maybe one day make a frame.

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodgerac Thu Oct 21 2021, 12:10

Just watched the video, Maryalice, thank you. Excellent.

Bodgerac
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down